Thread: not happy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not happy

Last night while I was working, one of my teeth broke and exposed a nerve. now this caused excruciating pain and I asked the acting night manager if I could go to the nearby hospital to see if they could do anything to reduce the amount of pain I was in then come back and continue my shift. Its only 2 mins away so its not like I would be away for very long.

He told me he had to phone the store manager and get his permission, so off he went. 10 mins later he came back and told me I wasnt allowed to leave but didnt give a reason why I couldnt.

As I couldnt leave to go to the hospital I thought id give them a phone during my break and see if they could suggest something in the shop that might heal the pain and they made afew suggestions to reduce the pain but told me it wouldnt completely disappear. Then asked if I had been able to go to them would they be able to do anything and they told me they would have been able to give me some strong paracetamol type thing so it wouldnt have been a wasted 2minutes to get there.

Spoke to my mum about it and she thinks what they had done was illegal or at least a breach of human rights in some way.

I'm going to go to citizens advice tomorrow and see what they say about this but does anyone on here possibly know if I have any rights about this so i know what to expect?

I basically had to do the last 8 hours of my shift in pain
    Prestige Blue 2.2 SRi 3dr hatch

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you dont HAVE to do anything

its YOUR choice if you want to leave due to being ill or unfit to work

its not school your at
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well with the way all the nightshift staff get treated in that place it feels like school.....or prison. not that iv been to prison but iv seen them on tv!
    Prestige Blue 2.2 SRi 3dr hatch

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy____ View Post
    Last night while I was working, one of my teeth broke and exposed a nerve. now this caused excruciating pain and I asked the acting night manager if I could go to the nearby hospital to see if they could do anything to reduce the amount of pain I was in then come back and continue my shift. Its only 2 mins away so its not like I would be away for very long.

He told me he had to phone the store manager and get his permission, so off he went. 10 mins later he came back and told me I wasnt allowed to leave but didnt give a reason why I couldnt.

As I couldnt leave to go to the hospital I thought id give them a phone during my break and see if they could suggest something in the shop that might heal the pain and they made afew suggestions to reduce the pain but told me it wouldnt completely disappear. Then asked if I had been able to go to them would they be able to do anything and they told me they would have been able to give me some strong paracetamol type thing so it wouldnt have been a wasted 2minutes to get there.

Spoke to my mum about it and she thinks what they had done was illegal or at least a breach of human rights in some way.

I'm going to go to citizens advice tomorrow and see what they say about this but does anyone on here possibly know if I have any rights about this so i know what to expect?

I basically had to do the last 8 hours of my shift in pain

You need to file a grievance with your hr department if you wish to take it further.

look Here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...es/DG_10027992

BMC
    04/02/71 to 09/05/09 - RIP BMC

Brevior saltare com deformibus mulieribus est vita

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1st time I have heard of work stopping people going for being Ill/ In pain.

I would look at taking it futher

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Ooooooo chap, I really feel for you.

Tooth pain has got to be my number two worst pain EVER!

(number one being in labour, but you wont do that bit)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You dont need permission to leave work to go to A&E, if your not well your not well. When i first had my absis and was bleeding i had the same problem. Told them to stick it i was going to A&E.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you don't ask - you TELL them "I need to go to A&E" then go. If you are in pain you are not a useful member of the workforce as that kind of pain will distract you from your job, and depending what it is you do, could even render you to be a health and safety liability as if you concentration is lapsed you could pose a risk to your colleagues if you had to do some kind of work with them that a lapse in concentration could lead to them becoming injured.

Either way, you should not be expected to work in pain at all, no matter what you job.

Kirsty.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sod the legal side of things for one minute......did u actually get the treatment in the end?

sadly im used to hearing stories like this all the time - my employer is notorious for things like this - if ur ill they'll still make u graft ur arse off - even ppl with broken limbs are made to come into work.....unless of course u can stand up for yourself (no pun intended) then u can just tell em to feck off politely.

Know how u feel tho mate - my nerve was exposed for about 6wks and had the dentist in total disbelief the other week at how i managed to live through it lol ....

Good luck chasing it up tho - lets hope u give ur employer some shit