Thread: spare key

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

spare key

Hi. I recently bought a astra 04 (feb -older model) 1.7 cdti, 1mth ago now. However, it did not come with a spare key.

The car dealer i bought it off said i could get one with a chip in the key which would allow me to open and start the car (from a vauxhall dealership) -this would suit me as a spare; or the more expensive same key with the car (with the open and close buttons to press -i have been quoted a rough figure of £100 for this from a vauxhall dealership/rip-off merchants); or else a key cut which would only open the car but not start it -no real use if you lost the key -only use of the key was locked in the car.

How much would the 1st and my preferred option cost? (key with chip to open and start the car with no alarm problems).

The car had about 3 previous owners, i dont understand how they would not have gotten a spare key made up and not passed it on when the sold the car, gits

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, could always contact the 3 previous owners and see if 1 of them has the spare key.

Secondly, the cheapest way to do this is 1 of the following ways - get a 2nd hand remote fob from ebay, then get only the horse shoe blade bit from Vauxhall and have them program it, total is: ebay fob £10, new blade bit £25, programming £20, £55

or, go to timpsons or somewhere like that, they have readers these days which can copy the immobiliser info off of the original key and duplicate it to new key meaning no trip to vauxhall, thus you get a new key which will unlock the car via the drivers door lock, and work the immobiliser/start the car via the ignition barrel, HOWEVER you wont get 1 that works the remote central locking from there, total cost £25
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendry View Post
    Firstly, could always contact the 3 previous owners and see if 1 of them has the spare key.

Secondly, the cheapest way to do this is 1 of the following ways - get a 2nd hand remote fob from ebay, then get only the horse shoe blade bit from Vauxhall and have them program it, total is: ebay fob £10, new blade bit £25, programming £20, £55

or, go to timpsons or somewhere like that, they have readers these days which can copy the immobiliser info off of the original key and duplicate it to new key meaning no trip to vauxhall, thus you get a new key which will unlock the car via the drivers door lock, and work the immobiliser/start the car via the ignition barrel, HOWEVER you wont get 1 that works the remote central locking from there, total cost £25
    thanks for that. i never thought i could have got a 2nd hand remote fob from ebay and worked it that way, i might check that out. ill probably go for the one which doesnt operate the remote central locking though