Thread: Hi and sorry!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi and sorry!!

Hi guys and gals. Firstly a hello from me, just bought a mint astra 1.7td 1995. Very well looked after but it has a problem. I broke down the other day. overheated. the RAC man took out the thermostat and said that should sort it (temporarily) and keep it cool. I have since flushed the radiator. Now the temperature is all over the place. as soon as i hit motorway speeds the temp rises to around 100 degrees. but if i slow down and put the heaters on it falls to below 90. there is no oil in coolant and no gunk on the oil filler cap.

sorry for my first post being a question but if anyone could offer any suggestions I would appreciate it

Thanks in advance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The temp will be all over the place if you are still driving without a thermostat; fit a new one and use the correct solution of antifreeze and see how you get on. I assume you are not leaking water from around the hoses, radiator or pump area and your drive belt is correctly tensioned. You could also flush out the engine block as you did with the radiator while you are fitting a new thermostat. If you badly overheated you may have to suspect the cylinder head gasket.

Let us know how you get on.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what he said
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers