Thread: My Astra H: ICE Install

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Astra H: ICE Install

Hi guys, this is my ICE install write up. I've just copied and pasted it from a thread on a different forum so sorry about referring to stuff I haven't mentioned on here before! Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Right, it's been a long time coming but I had to hit the Astra with some ICE love.

I still had a LOT of equipment from my BM, which I was extremely happy with so would put in the Astra. That was:

JL Audio ZR650-CSi components
    JL Audio C5650-x coaxials
    JL Audio 1000/1 Amp
    JL Audio 300/4 Amp
    Parrott Bluetooth kit
    Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor
    Alpine NVE-099P Navigation Unit

Now as I have the vehicle hub install in my bm I sold that complete so was left without a front end. As I already had the alpine nav and sound processor the most logical option was to go for another alpine head unit. The sound quality was great a functionality wasn't too bad either. Alpine has super ugly interface BUT with the launch of the new 500 series double din units with an upgraded interface the choice was pretty clear .

So I got myself an Alpine IVA-W505R (There's no reason why I got the 505 instead of the 502, it just came out first and I couldn't wait lol). It was compatible with the touch screen of the nav unit, provided full functinality for the sound processor and looked great so I was happy.

In addition to the head unit I also opted to get some more entertainment in the cabin and decided on a freeview box. TO keep things fully functional I went for the alpine digital freeview box, the Alpine TUE-T150DV (DVB-T) which has the integrated DAB radio and paired it up with two KAE-205DV antennas.

Getting a double din fascia for the astra was pretty easy as it had a perfect slot and the fascia is made by autoleads and vx themselves to match the dash. It doesn't sit as flush as I like am going to have a custom fascia fabricated, but it will do for now

The next thing was the actual install itself. The most important thing I learned after the bm install was sound proofing. I wanted to get as much of this done as possible as it made a HUGE difference in the bm and wanted to acheive similar if not better souind with the smaller more enclosed cabin of the astra.

We dynamatted and dynalinered the outer metal of the door, the inner metal of the door and the door card itself. It might be a bit overboard but I didn't care, it was better to be safe then sorry! I also had the rear quarters cover in dynamat too.

Had all the speakers solidly mounted to the door of the card, the way it is as standard on the Astra anyway.

Was EXTREMELY happy with the result. A few people have heard it since and get incredible sub bass tones from the doors, comparable to the JL 6w3 subs I had in the bm.

Also with the processor installed I decided for the first time to mess around with time alignment and was actually shocked with the result. It was impossible for anyone to tell that there actually wasn't an activated centre speaker in the car! But there's soo many options I need to mess around with it properly to get the most out of it.

Now although I had loads of bass from the doors, the actual output wasn't enough to fill the cabin and the 6.5" woofer just can't hit the deep notes that can be done with a larger subwoofer so one was definatly needed for the boot.

First thing was to decide what sub to choose. To keep consistent with the rest of my install I Was going to keep to a JL subwoofer. Having a 1000/1 already at hand I decided why not go for a JL Audio 12w7 and picked myself up one of these:

This thing was heavy as hell and took up half the astra boot and couple with the JL built pro-wedge box and the 1000/1 amp it absolutely POUNDED. With hatch shaped of the car and the super small astra cabin NO bass is lost and it was impossible to take a drive without getting a headache!

Although an awesome subwoofer by any means, its was just too much for my SQ orientated install and I hardly every used the thing to its full potential and decided it wasn't for me and so it went.

Next on the list was a 12w6 in a pro-wedge box which I hooked up to the system and listened to. A much more appropriate woofer for what I was trying to acheive and the quality of bass it produced was phenomenal. The only issue I had was that to listen to it at its optimal sounding level, the bass in the cabin would be too overpowering and putting the bass down lost the quality of the bass it was producing. I'm sure messing around with gains and the crossover level I could probably get it closer to what I wanted, but deep down I knew what I wanted.. a 10.

SO next on the list (and last!) was a 10w6. Put in the boot a 10w6 in a pro-wedge box and its soundly EXACTLY how I wanted it too and melted perfectly with the rest of the system. The 10w6 was what I wanted!

Now that the sub was chosen, its time to design the boot. Now the problem I had is that I wanted everything to be displayed, and look neat and tidy, but smart but still retain as much boot space as possible as I use my boot. I thought that this was a near impossible task as the astra sporthatch boot is TINY, but with only a 10inch sub hopefully we'd be able to do something!

The other issue I had was that as its a hatch boot I was worried about what the box would look like. I like the "wall" look but it would be near impossible to do as the top of the box would be visible.

We angled the box as much as possible so as to have the top of the box meet the top of the seat to make it look like a wall.

I also replaced the 1000/1 with a 500/1 as the 1000watt amp was waaay too much for the baby 10w6 sub. Also got myself a 300/2 to have displayed instead of the 300/4 as it just look knackered and one of the heat sinks was broken lol so I'd have the 500/1 powering the sub, the 300/2 powering the ZR's and the 300/4 hidden away behind the box pwoering the C5's.

Now that we had the box sorted, the placement of the 500/1 and 300/2 amps was the last problem. I didn't want them on the floor as I will be using the boot alot, so taking inspiration from Nicks 335d install I decided to have the amps recessed into the wall on either side of the sub and instead have a display piece sitting on the floor.

The display piece is actually black glass sprayed black on the underside instead of gloss black perspex, hopefully proving to be more durable. Underneath the JL logo is a pearl white tile lit up by ice white LED strips around the outside which lights when the boot is opened.

As a finishing touch we also put a removable grill over the sub to protect it when I have something in the boot.

Here are the pictures, which is what you'ev been waiting for. Infact, I doublt anyones even read all the crap I wrote lol.

Am sooo happy with it. Looks SO much better in person. Also had the entire boots trimmed in the soft fleece like material used for the floor and box.

The entire install meets all my requirements and provide plenty of room still. Just hope I don't scratch or damage anything .

For anyone who wants to know, total install now is:

JL Audio ZR650-CSi components
    JL Audio C5650-x coaxials
    JL Audio 500/1 Amp
    JL Audio 300/2 Amp
    JL Audio 300/4 Amp
    Parrott Bluetooth kit
    Alpine IVA-W505R
    Alpine TUE-T150DV Mobile Digital Receiver
    Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor
    Alpine NVE-099P Navigation Unit

Thanks for looking

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    looks spot on!
    im looking to give my install a revamp soon. very nice work.
    did you do it yourself?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like Ai Audio

Looks like it was the lads at Ai Audio - noticed the logo on a t-shirt in one of the pics
    Audio Advice
    Total Vauxhall featured Cavalier Turbo
    Total Vauxhall featured Zafira GSi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol, yup it was Ai Audio who did the install. The install itself is pretty easy, the tricky thing was just getting everything in through that tiny boot opening!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    impressive install that, very tidy and quality parts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Nice install mate, i use a 12w6 myself and i find it perfect for my needs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesAstra View Post
    Nice install mate, i use a 12w6 myself and i find it perfect for my needs
    Yeah the 12w6 is an awesome sub, I did love it, was just I was only after a bit of mild filler bass and the 12w6 can half pound lol. Also, if I had stuck with the 12 I would never have been able to do the install that I have as the sub would be too big, bringing the box out more.

In your install it says you have the 350BT installed. I didn't even know they were out! How is it? Worth getting? The parrott kit is the only thing I have now which isn't integrated with my head unit but I really hated the old alpine bluetooth unit. Is this one better?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very nice install! looks really smart.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice install mate. the boot in the sporhatches is tiny iv got the same problem trying to get a system in mine.
    Tartan Army

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great install..

Whats the freeview reception like on the move ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast