Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil

hey,
    my oil light comes on and goes off, just checked my dip stick and theres no oil on it, what oil do i need to go and buy? i dont have a haynes manual. ill have to top/fill it up and get it on a pit tomorrow. its a 1.6 16v sxi 02 plate.
    thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id advise draining the oil in case there actually is some in and givin false readings, then fill it with some fresh stuff.

capacity is 3.5 litres with filter

10w40 will be fine

The 1.6 16v is notorious for using oil so just keep an eye on the levels over a set period of time and report back if ur having problems

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks had the car about a month and half- 2 months topps and its the 1st time ive seen it, cant drain the oil now so ill run up the garage and top it up and the oil change will have to wait untill tomorrow/wed, where the most common place for a leak? i dont have a haynes manual yet, been meaning to buy 1 for a while but never got round to it. thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they dont commonly leak - they just burn it

u could have caused serious damage if its been running dry for a while

get it topped up - leave it for a good 10mins to settle then check level etc - start it up run for few mins on idle, off then settle then recheck level etc

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the lights just came on before so im assuming if i top it up stright away it should be ok, also could it be i got in took my girlfriend to work (about 5 mins away) and i wasnt exactly takeing my time over the speed bump and round the corners. could it be the engine is cold and the oil is thick?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the light came on then you've probably caused some damage to the engine, mabey not top end but almost certainly bottom end, main's shells & big end's.

I'm sure the light comes on when the oil pressure drop's below 3psi (stupidly low, i know), the engine needs about 45psi all the time, at high rev's when the engine's up to temp oil pressure's probably more like 75psi.
    Astra SRi Turbo
    281|317