Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Components, Rears, AMP & Sound Deadening

Hey Guys

I've just ordered some Alpine R-Type Front Components, Rear Speakers and Pods
    I already have 2 x 12" Alpine R-Type Subwoofers wired up to a 2 channel amp
    I know I am going to need an AMP for my Speakers so let's just pretend I have a 4channel AMP

My questions are as follows

1) When the Components, and rear speakers arrive, how the heck are they wired, How will i AMP them up? Do i need to run new wiring to my boot? and put the AMP in the boot?

2) What AMP would you personally recomend for those 4 speakers?

3) Sound Deadening!
    I'm going to sound deaden the car as I install the speakers, but am a little aprehensive on this one, how can a sheet of material make that much of a difference? As it's just a sticky back material, and sticks straight on?
    How much do i "realisitcly" need, i know its a case of how far you want to go
    But the guy at the shop was selling £180 for 10 x sheets of dynamat
    Would that be too much? or not enough?
    For doing 2 front doors, rear quarter panels, and boot?

Thanks Guys
    I'm sure some of the ICE experts will be able to answer these "simple" questions

Dean

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just sound deadened my Astra Coupe. I did front doors and rear quarters. I used about 10sq metres. That did pretty much full door coverage inner and outer skins.

I got this stuff but I went for 20 sheets of 500x500 panels. I offered £20 a pack, for two packs and they accepted.

Bodyline

You will need to get yourself a wallpaper seam roller to roll it on - the whole idea being to increase the mass of the panels. So it needs to be nicely mated to the surface. Oh and yes, it does make a big difference. I did a couple of layers behind the speakers and also around the section where they were mounted. I also recommend knocking up some MDF rings as spacers. They work better than plastic spacers.

You will also need to clean the panels, I used meths. Getting all the old residue and wadding off the panels was a bitch but I persevered and got there in the end. Finally, if you do go with Bodyline - use a heat gun to warm the panels up before applying. Makes the adhesive more, err, adhesive....lol

I don't know how much extra you will need for the boot as I didnt do mine ( no sub in the boot - but 6inch ED subs in the rear quarters)

As for wiring your new speakers. I have just installed the old skool Type R's in the Astra. You will need to run new speaker wire from the doors down to the boot (or where ever you are installing the amp). I mounted the crossover units on the door behind the door cards, your speaker wire from the boot goes to the crossover unit. Then you need a length of wire from the crossover unit to the speaker (driver). And obviously another length to the tweeter.

As you already have an amp in place I take it you have wiring installed going down to the boot? If this is the case I would get some junction blocks and split the wiring off into two once it gets to the boot. I used the Autoleads equivalent of these Distribution Blocks

Hopefully I've been of some use, and haven't confused you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Dynamat-- I used 14 pieces in my car in total which covered boot, hatch, front doors and rear quarters and numberplate. It makes the outer shell denser (sp) so yes it makes that much of a difference.

Yes you need to run speaker cable to the amp in the boot if thats where you are putting it.

Amplifier for all 4 speakers i would say an alpine pdx4.100 as it gives 100wrms per channel and it is perfectly matched for the speakers.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That reminds me, need to do my numberplates!!! lol