Thread: Rover 220td, or astra merit

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rover 220td, or astra merit

I need to drive while I sell my astra mk4 2.0.

I have an option of keeping one of these cars:

A 1995 mk3 door 1.4 merit with 124,000 miles. (I was thinking of driving it and putting a gsi kit on it. It's dead slow though) I heard mpg is only 36! It's a rare car in N Ireland in the 3dr.

or

A 1997 rover 220 td 97,000 miles. Which is practical with 55mpg and as I drive allot it may be ideal.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm really not sure tbh!?!

I have to decide in the next 24 hours and I really am stressed about it cos I can only keep one. I love astras, but 35mpg dosent seem much better than my 2.0!

Maybe I could get the rover engine and gearbox put into the astra? I just need a car that I like the look of and is cheap to run. The rover it defo the quicker!

What do you guys think? All answers much appreciated!

Gareth

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    keep the Astra, even if its a 1.4 and as you say not as common on the roads by you, so you could eventually ask more for it when its time to resell
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A Rover engine into an Astra might be a bit complicated esp when it comes to the electrical side of things i would imagine.

Why not keep the Astra, and drive it until you can source a suitable 1.7 TD engine from a MK3 at a breakers. Quite a few members have this engine in their cars. I'm not sure of the economy but I'll guess and say it would be pretty reasonable?

I guess this will be a lot more straightforward than transplanting the Rover engine.

I couldnt possibly suggest keeping the Rover on an Astra forum lol.

EDIT^^just the bloke I was thinking of
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IainL View Post
    A Rover engine into an Astra might be a bit complicated esp when it comes to the electrical side of things i would imagine.

Why not keep the Astra, and drive it until you can source a suitable 1.7 TD engine from a MK3 at a breakers. Quite a few members have this engine in their cars. I'm not sure of the economy but I'll guess and say it would be pretty reasonable?

I guess this will be a lot more straightforward than transplanting the Rover engine.

I couldnt possibly suggest keeping the Rover on an Astra forum lol.

EDIT^^just the bloke I was thinking of
    If that was me your thinking of, Yeah the Isuzi diesel engine i have is pretty good on the fuel, not actually found out mpg's but its pretty good, its better on the motoryway, than alot of town driving, i think i was getting about 55mpg when i drove to Telford and back with Toms1989 to pick up something for my step dad. Though i would try and avoid the GM lowblow diesel turbo if you could, as ime told they are prone to blowing head gaskets

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    If that was me your thinking of, Yeah the Isuzi diesel engine i have is pretty good on the fuel, not actually found out mpg's but its pretty good, its better on the motoryway, than alot of town driving, i think i was getting about 55mpg when i drove to Telford and back with Toms1989 to pick up something for my step dad. Though i would try and avoid the GM lowblow diesel turbo if you could, as ime told they are prone to blowing head gaskets

Ok, so lets say I plump for the astra. Can I use the gearbox etc out of the 1.4 to suit the 1.7td? Also. Would a 1.4 16v fit in the astra without changing too much?

Having said this, I feel the astra is not is as good condition as the rover, but maybe it would be worth it just to own the astra. Allot slower than the 92si my dad owned which was a lovley car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garethfj View Post
    Ok, so lets say I plump for the astra. Can I use the gearbox etc out of the 1.4 to suit the 1.7td? Also. Would a 1.4 16v fit in the astra without changing too much?

Having said this, I feel the astra is not is as good condition as the rover, but maybe it would be worth it just to own the astra. Allot slower than the 92si my dad owned which was a lovley car.
    not sure about the box changes, it might be possible, as to other engine changes especially for the petrol motors its alot easier than swapping to diesel. for starters you wont have to change fuel tanks and ignition circuits, since the petrol has an ECU and the isuzi diesel doesnt. you might be better swapping it over for a 1.6 or just de restrict the airbox

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    not sure about the box changes, it might be possible, as to other engine changes especially for the petrol motors its alot easier than swapping to diesel. for starters you wont have to change fuel tanks and ignition circuits, since the petrol has an ECU and the isuzi diesel doesnt. you might be better swapping it over for a 1.6 or just de restrict the airbox
    Hmm, ok then I'd be after a newer 1.6, but I'm thinking this would require a new gear box. There isint even a rev counter on this merit! Although it's not hard to know when to change gear on it!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you already own both these 2 cars? If so flog em both & get something else!??
    Astra SXI 1.6 16v
    > Irmscher i line <

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know it aint as good looks wise but go for the rover, why bother with all the hassle making the astra better when the rover does it all, and its true 35/36 mpg on astra pretty appaling lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    astra

less old man ish than the itsover
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast