Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How To: Tint Rear Lights

Hey Guys

I managed to get hold of a set of Standard Rear lights, and I am hopefully going to tint them tonight, or tomorrow night, depending on how fast i get replys from here, but usually you guys are really quick and helpful with advice so I'm hoping I'll be abkle to get this done/started tonight

I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'd like to do everything right, by the book, and make sure i know 110% of the information before i begin

So... I'm hoping to achieve a look similar to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie1556 View Post

I'm going to keep the reflective strip for obvious reasons (That would make them legal) So first of all

1. What materials do i need to spray my rear lights? Tinting Spray? Laquer? A Cloth? etc.

2. What should i clean the lights with before i start? Should i look out for scratches and dents?

3. What is the process i should use? How many layers of tint/laquer? How many minutes/hours waiting time betweene ach spraying

4. Do i need brighter bulbs, if I'm planning on going that dark?
    (If so where do i get them from? What model Numbers do you use?)

5. Probably one of the most important ones, How do i get the lights off my car?
    Although I haven't had a good look myself, I'm sure you just pull them grills off (from inside the boot, and push them out? maybe undo something?)

Thanks a MILLION guys!
    Dean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only thing i cn help with is how to get them off !!! the grills pull off and theres 2 large white things these unscrew careful not to drop them as they are a bitchhh to get if you do, then simply unclip your bulb holder 4 whie plastic clips then they slide out and there you go ... am thinking of doing my lights soon so will wtch this space

jay

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano_Sxi View Post
    Hey Guys

I managed to get hold of a set of Standard Rear lights, and I am hopefully going to tint them tonight, or tomorrow night, depending on how fast i get replys from here, but usually you guys are really quick and helpful with advice so I'm hoping I'll be abkle to get this done/started tonight

I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'd like to do everything right, by the book, and make sure i know 110% of the information before i begin

So... I'm hoping to achieve a look similar to this...

I'm going to keep the reflective strip for obvious reasons (That would make them legal) So first of all

1. What materials do i need to spray my rear lights? Tinting Spray? Laquer? A Cloth? etc.

2. What should i clean the lights with before i start? Should i look out for scratches and dents?

3. What is the process i should use? How many layers of tint/laquer? How many minutes/hours waiting time betweene ach spraying

4. Do i need brighter bulbs, if I'm planning on going that dark?
    (If so where do i get them from? What model Numbers do you use?)

5. Probably one of the most important ones, How do i get the lights off my car?
    Although I haven't had a good look myself, I'm sure you just pull them grills off (from inside the boot, and push them out? maybe undo something?)

Thanks a MILLION guys!
    Dean
    Hi m8

tinting spray, plastic type brillo pad, also best to use a lacquer after too as most tinting sprays dont shine that well and thinners or similar to wipe down before spraying

take off grills in side boot and each light has 2 nuts which can be undone by hand take off the connector on rear of light and try keep one had on the outside of the light as you take the nuts off so the light doesnt fall out then pull it out

give the lights a light rub down with the plastic brillo pad just enough to give it a matt look then wipe over with the thinners then lightly apply each coat (not too lightly tho) and just check after each coat until your happy with the darkness the tint spray dries very quicly so only needs 5 mins between coats then allow to dry for an hour or so and give it a about3-4 coats of lacquer until it has a nice sheen but allow a bit more time between the coats of lacquer. do each coat fairly lightly (again not too lightly tho) lacquer runs fairly easily and if the coat is applied too thick it will go milky

cant really help on the bulb side tho sorry m8

Hope this is ok for you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    above all take your time and lots of patience mate
    heres mine self sprayed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the brillo pad i mean are the ones that are mostly sponge with the scourer on top m8

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok great!
    thanks for the replies guys

Just another important question

What tinting spray should i buy?
    What spray did you guys use?

Thanks a lot

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Glacious On Twitter Add Glacious on Facebook
    Hmm dont quite mean to hijack the post here and sorry if seems like i am but its on the subject of tinted lights :P but i sprayed mine and I have put 2-3 coats of lacquer on but there really just dont want to shine :| almost abit misty and wierd any ideas? I got sum tint spray off ebay mate and it worked well just the lacquer im concerned about.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacious View Post
    Hmm dont quite mean to hijack the post here and sorry if seems like i am but its on the subject of tinted lights :P but i sprayed mine and I have put 2-3 coats of lacquer on but there really just dont want to shine :| almost abit misty and wierd any ideas? I got sum tint spray off ebay mate and it worked well just the lacquer im concerned about.

No worries Pal

Yer,w ell that;'s why I'd like to confirm what "Brand/Make" tinting spray/laquer people are using?
    So i make sure I buy the good stuff, and nothing that is going to dissapoint

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a lot of us have used this one from ebay Item number: 310094662662
    good stuff

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Glacious On Twitter Add Glacious on Facebook
    thats the one i got and used and it tinted really well just cant seem to get the lacquer to make them shine

I brought and used this for lacquer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190250148136

Is that rite or wrong lol as dosnt really give any good result

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast