Thread: engine oil in spark plugs!?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy engine oil in spark plugs!?

Hi there. I bought a mk 4 sxi 2 weeks ago and had it serviced yesterday. I brought to the mechanics attention that the immobiliser light ( the one with the car and spanner ) comes up on the dash sometimes. anyway he said he'd get rid of it and did the diagnosis on the machine. nothing came up. anyway, when he got to changing my spark plugs he noticed that the issue was that oil had somehow got into the plugs and was the reason that it would sometimes not start. he cleaned as much oil out as he could and then it seemed to work all fine. i drove to work and it was better than ever. then i turned it on to drive home and the B*****D light has come on again, not only that, but INSP has come up on the dashboard everytime i turn the key. im starting to get worried. what should i do now?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    oil on the spark plug is generally caused by worn valve guides or piston rings.

this will cause mis-firing, hesistation and hard 2 start up again.
    the INSP light hasnt been reset properly by the sounds of it but ull still have the problem with oil in sparks.

hows ur oil consumption?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its been ok actually. i dont think the mechanic put any oil in cos there is none on the dipstick. im well annoyed but hey. anyway, is there anything i can do?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think he means there was oil in the tubes in the head where the coil[pack or leads go on the plugs if so its leaking through the cam cover gasket.common on all ecotecs.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andys sri-t View Post
    i think he means there was oil in the tubes in the head where the coil[pack or leads go on the plugs if so its leaking through the cam cover gasket.common on all ecotecs.
    what can i do about it andy?

azi
    its easy enough to get ride of the INSP symbol, put ur key in ignition without turning it, then press and hold the reset milage counter button whilst ur doing this turn ur ignition on but dont start the car then turn it back off, that will do the trick for that...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the only way to cure it is to chang the cam cover gasket should be about 15 quid from the dealers make sure you get the ten o-rings as well easy to change just make sure the new gasket is sitting in the rocker cover nice and tighten the bolts up evenly and a bit at a time.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all done and fitted today. you guys are top notch! now all i need to do is buy a new air sensor!