Thread: Warranties...

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Warranties...

So, just over a year ago, I took my GF out around the shops to get a spankers new laptop. Bearing in mind she's in architecture and runs heavy-load programs and works on large drawings, we needed a decent spec machine with a decent size screen etc.

So, without further ado, a HP Pavillion 9500 was purchase at a smidge over £1000. It's a gorgeous machine, very fast, massively sexy and has all the toys you could want. In short, it's a lot of machine for little money.

Now we're here, just over a year on and the screen has gone. But wait, is it the screen? No. On further investigation, i've discovered it's the GFX card.. which is integrated. It's a NVidia 8600GTS so not a cheap thing

HP can't touch it because it wasn't bought from them - PC World (what was i thinking, will I ever learn) wont touch it because it's out of warranty (understandable to a degree). They'll take it and have it repaired at a charge.. but it's how far I want to bend over.

So, question. Anyone know a place to get replacement laptop motherboards at a decent price?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    So, just over a year ago, I took my GF out around the shops to get a spankers new laptop. Bearing in mind she's in architecture and runs heavy-load programs and works on large drawings, we needed a decent spec machine with a decent size screen etc.

So, without further ado, a HP Pavillion 9500 was purchase at a smidge over £1000. It's a gorgeous machine, very fast, massively sexy and has all the toys you could want. In short, it's a lot of machine for little money.

Now we're here, just over a year on and the screen has gone. But wait, is it the screen? No. On further investigation, i've discovered it's the GFX card.. which is integrated. It's a NVidia 8600GTS so not a cheap thing

HP can't touch it because it wasn't bought from them - PC World (what was i thinking, will I ever learn) wont touch it because it's out of warranty (understandable to a degree). They'll take it and have it repaired at a charge.. but it's how far I want to bend over.

So, question. Anyone know a place to get replacement laptop motherboards at a decent price?
    Have you checked the HP website? There is a known problem with the dv9000 series HP laptops with the onboard graphics failing on certain models, i dont have the link to the site but i can get it on monday for you. If not then ebay is probably the cheapest place for a new motherboard, make sure you buy a new one with at least a 3 month warranty.

Try here
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01087277

Opps just realised it doesnt list 9500, hmm.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **** buying anything from PC world, wouldnt give they ***** the steam of my piss.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...vidia-problems

Seems as though someone is in a similar situation as you, 7 days out of warranty and HP wont look at it even though it seems to be a common problem. If you take the memory cover off and remove the ram from the laptop it will reveal the part number for the motherboard, it will be like xxxxxx-xxx if you stick this into ebay it should throw something up or you could contact service source europe and get one but expect to pay about £300 for one. If you need any help fitting it let me know and i can try and help you.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    **** buying anything from PC world, wouldnt give they ***** the steam of my piss.
    I know, i'm really ****ed off with myself for doing it in the first place. I should know better having had experiences before. But, it was just too much of a good deal at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...vidia-problems

Seems as though someone is in a similar situation as you, 7 days out of warranty and HP wont look at it even though it seems to be a common problem. If you take the memory cover off and remove the ram from the laptop it will reveal the part number for the motherboard, it will be like xxxxxx-xxx if you stick this into ebay it should throw something up or you could contact service source europe and get one but expect to pay about £300 for one. If you need any help fitting it let me know and i can try and help you.
    HP wont touch it - there's only a recognised warranty extension on the DV9300 - all the rest in the DV9XX range aren't extended.

Spoken to a company in London who know of the problem and have a fix for it. HP found out they could fix it though, and are now siliconing the GFX cards in place on these MB's so they can't do it. Just checked, and this is a newer version so it's got the silicone.

*sigh*

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have house insurance ?

and did you say someone stood on it before it went ?
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    I know, i'm really ****ed off with myself for doing it in the first place. I should know better having had experiences before. But, it was just too much of a good deal at the time.

HP wont touch it - there's only a recognised warranty extension on the DV9300 - all the rest in the DV9XX range aren't extended.

Spoken to a company in London who know of the problem and have a fix for it. HP found out they could fix it though, and are now siliconing the GFX cards in place on these MB's so they can't do it. Just checked, and this is a newer version so it's got the silicone.

*sigh*
    It seems it has effected all of the dv9000 range apart from yours according to this website.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01087277

Which company in london is it?

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Which company in london is it?
    Creative IT - very nice helpful chaps there.

http://www.creativeit.tv/notebook-repairs.htm - called them about it. They said they 'reflow' the chip i.e. blast hot air around and at it to have it reseated. Seemingly the temperature of the laptop makes them work their way loose and this reseats them. HP found out and started using silicon. So it's not as effective anymore - it does work, but not as well.

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    do you have house insurance ?

and did you say someone stood on it before it went ?
    Good thinking Craig....

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET View Post
    Good thinking Craig....

It ran out so no can do.

Commence slating yada yada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast