Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Add SM Tuning on Facebook

Astra's really any good?

Hello, Well. I ask the question in the title. "Are astras really any good?" I, in august bought a 2001 X reg Astra Club, 1.6 8v. Since buying it, I seem to have had nothing but problems. Heres a list....

Front pads and discs - £60
    Clutch slave cylinder - £290
    Full exhaust system - £100
    CV Joint - £50

That doesn't seem like a lot, but then when you realize I have only had the car 2 months. It is a lot.

Front pads and discs were shot to bits, Possibly been on the car since new.

The slave cylinder started leaking and had to be replaced, Possibly due to old age? Who knows.

The exhaust had to be replaced due to the rear box baffles being knackered, The middle box had a whole in it, and the flexi was knackered on the front pipe.

The CV Joint needed to be replaced due to it snapping when I went to pull away on full lock. (Thank god for the AA)

The list doesn't really end there neither. The car is going to need lower arms in the next few months as they have fairly extreme play in them. I also need to get the rear shoes done soon too. Don't get me wrong, I love my astra its a great car, but is it really worth constantly spending money on it like I am. What happened to good ole' Vauxhall reliability?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well it is 7 years old, mine is the same age and has allsorts of little niggles, and had to spend a fair bit.

the discs and pads are par for the course, and my exhaust was rusted to buggery so saw it as a good excuse to go full s.s.

a lot of what you mention is just standard wear and tear, i put 400 miles a week on my 1.6 sxi, and it eats the motorway miles, its got some odd quirks,and yeah something big is bound to go wrong sooner or later, but by and large astras seem pretty reliable.

my mum had a 2002 2.0 DTI for 5 years and it never broke down once,or needed to go to the garage other than for mots and services.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    my 2003 coupe has never caused me any probs in the year ive owned it.

problems are bound to come up though with any car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for are car of that age, it seems pretty much run of the mill wear and tear, but did you not check these things before you bought it?
    Admittedly when i got my Astra it sounds like it wasn't in much better shape, but having done most of the repairs myself, its still been a reliable more, the engine although having a dodgey starter motor solenoid has never failed to start, and mine is 12 years old! Toms1989's Astra, which is about the same age, with exception to the clutch cylinder, has had most of the above done, but he chose to upgrade
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My car is a 53 plate 1.6 SXI, touch wood in the time i have owned the car its never let me down.

Apart from the usual things (service, tax, mot) i have had to have a new steering rack and a lower ball joint.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines 5 in december 93,000 miles no probs yet except tyres,brakes and servicing etc

as it gets older thing are going to give saying that bet i break down this week talk about jinxing myself lol

edit ac condensor leak only cost about £50 to fix tho

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine saw me about 6 years of motoring and 110,000 miles before things started to need repaired majorly. Went through radiator, aircon radiator, wheel bearings, fuel pump, springs, all over 10 months. Age of the car and mileage can all impact on repairs etc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes you have to look at how the last few owners looked after it, It happens with any car. If the car's looked after you proberly won't get as many problems with it.
    Number 365 VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it all comes down to how well a car was maintained and the cost of the car, if it was a bargain price you expect a few problems to be fair

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not overly much down to maintenance - some things go wrong through age and pure randomness however frequently the car is serviced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast