Thread: Need new exhaust (back box) and brakes.....advice please :)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need new exhaust (back box) and brakes.....advice please :)

hello!

i took my astra to Kwikfit to get a quick oil change and new filter before a long drive, last minute thing.

when it was up in the air, the mechanics said that'd i'd need a new back box soon as the second skin(?) has gone rusty and may get a big ol' hole soon.

to go along with this good news they also said i need new brake discs/rotors. they do look tired i suppose!

anyway, they quoted me something in the region of £YIKES for the lot.

now i;m a very poor student and the quote they gave me sounded like it was wayyyy OTT, but i'm no mechanic so i just don't know.

so from experience: how much should a new back box, and new brake discs and pads all round (drums on rear....can i upgrade these to discs? that'd be awesome!) cost+ fitting and where should i go?

incase the info is required:

the car is a 2001 Y reg Vauxhall Astra Envoy, 1.6 8v with 4 stud wheels.

thanks in advance.
    404 error - witty signature not found

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If money is tight and the back box isnt blowing i would hold off on replacing it, the second skin fell off my backbox as it was rusted to pieces and i drove with it like that for about 8 months before putting a irmscher backbox on, the original was still ok but i wanted a better one. It also passed and MOT with no second skin.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    blowing! thats the weird word the little spanish man kept saying about it, apparently its not blowing but it could soon (months, not weeks)

my MOT is due for 11 nov.

so any ideas about brakes? costs etc?

thanks for your reply

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    brakes and pads up front can be done for about £40 on ur motor

back probs dont need to be touched - if anything just a quick clean

a good garage (not a shit cowboy ranch like kwik fit) can sort u out no problems

the exhaust - again id say leave it - especially if money is tight

find a good local garage and ask them to check everything over if u are unsure

whereabouts are u based? maybe a local member can help u out to check the parts in question or even fit new ones

i would if u were local - no problem - im sure other members would too

if u want new front discs/pads let me know and ill dig out a link to an online seller.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm from Reigate, middle of Surrey-ish.

I'd be worried about doing it myself as i don't have: the room to do it, a decent jack, faith in my own mechanical skills not to kill me when i drive!

the only thing that tempted me to let Kwikfit do the brakes is their lifetime policy thingy. but thinking about it, how long does anyone keep one car for anyway..... hmmm.

i wouldn't actually mind fitting the back box myself, can't really go far wrong with that bit! but i have no axle stands or that stuff, and my street doesn't cater towards the amateur mechanic, its too small!

looking online, the back box they quoted was at least 3 times the price of some i found, but who knows.

having just been driving around Bath, i found that my hand brake could do with being more powerful, would this be sorted by cleaning the drums or tightening the cable or both?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    usually a clean is all thats needed

maybe new drums at a push but that only £20 worth

totally understand ur feelings towards DIY though

why not post in the regional forum mate - im sure sum1 will lend a hand where they can

brakes are a doddle to do but only if u have the correct tools and safety equipment

shouldnt take more than half hour to do in all honesty but hopefully sum1 local can help u out and show u how to do it for next time!

same goes for backbox.

a standard backbox could be had for about £35 for your motor....or a "sports" aftermarket one for £70 upwards

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the info dude, i'll post in the regional bit later or tomorrow, as now is the time for dinner and vegitation!

thanks again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Only problem i found when going to fit my new backbox was i couldn't get the old one off as it was rusted together and wouldn't budge, i had to get a local exhaust place to cut it to pieces and get it off so you *may* run into this problem although your car isnt as old as mine(mine is a 1998 ). Local exhaust place only charged me £40 to remove old one and fit new one (i supplied new one) which i was more than happy to pay as they were very friendly and did a good job.