Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is the current situation ......

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Drives
    Walsall,Brum,Shrewsbury
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How is the current situation ......

affecting people with their day to day life?

I work in a large company that makes and designs propshafts and driveshafts for the car and small commercial business and our work has dropped of no overtime for 4 months,agency and temporary workforce layed off.

We are probably in one of the worst engineering sectors to be during a recession especially when we supply Jaguar land rover

What do others think, not bothered or concerned

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I work in the building/plastering supply trade so it's effecting us quite alot at the moment with people not buying or doing much to the houses. With a fair few sites being closed down at present it's having a large knock on us. But all we can do is keep our heads up i guess and with a bit luck things will balance back out
    Astra 1.8 16v Sport
    Needed : Front Splitter PM if you've got one spare

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a design and projects manager for uni / football club refurbs

Alot of public sector and council work so we haven't been massively affected, my job is secure and have a decent income for somebody my age

Only monthly outgoing are £100 board, £17.50 contacts, £27 gym and £20 mobile phone. Everything else is paid for (Car / Insurance) so it's pretty easy times

ALOT of my mates are joiners and plasterers.... more and more of them are getting laid off and strugling to find any sort of income

Hope things get better pretty sharpish
    04 Regal'd Coupe Turbo . Europa . Lowered . Oval Scorpion . Climate Control . Black/Cloth Leather . Bailey DV

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My company is well placed to ride this out, but being an airline it's not a good job to be in at the moment.

Just incase the worse comes to the worse, I'm starting a couple of sideline businesses that will hopefully bring in enough cash to get alot more savings behind me and to help keep me going if I lose my job.

It won't be the last recession of our lifetimes though

I was looking in the local paper the other day, there is hardly no jobs in their, and the jobs that are there are mostly for carers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We're ok at the moment. Although some aspects of our business has slowed down we SHOULD ride it out. Turnover for the last 3 months is £200k down on predicted which cant be sniffed at. A couple of the UK team will be pushed soon, along with 1 US member - but this was on the cards for sometime previous to the current mess.

Some of my friends in the building trade have taken a real hit, car industry both supply and sales have also been hit according to mates

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My company's cool. Worldwide busines. Here, Dubai, Auz, India etc. Construction game is still strong. Currently in Notting Hill London and will be until March, hopefully then Fit Out will start for One Hyde Park! £100M Penthouse for sale! LOL
    You Can Sleep In Your Car But You Can't race Your House!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah i heard car sales had been hit hard aswell

Makes sense really, people are stuggling to pay bills or find a job, last thing on people's mind is buying a car.... or buying anything really
    04 Regal'd Coupe Turbo . Europa . Lowered . Oval Scorpion . Climate Control . Black/Cloth Leather . Bailey DV

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Drives
    Walsall,Brum,Shrewsbury
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jaguar and land rover have reduced their order with us,both have taken £1million of sales out,renault have reduced and Bentley

We have new models coming out in 2010(audi,vw) if we are still here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im in food retail and tbh we havent noticed much difference. my job is secure as i work for the largest 'co-operative' in the uk. this time of year always dipps off for us as the summers over and not much happens between now and xmas - just a sharp increase at the end of the month (halloween and bondfire night)

but cant be good for anyone in the building trade at the mo. tough times but hope it sorts itself out sooner than predicted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive had to become a man whore to make ends meet

ive had to do some horrible things, worst than when I saw when I was in Nam

where's my parade?
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast