Thread: help with speedo, rev sounter and fuel/temp

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry help with speedo, rev sounter and fuel/temp

hi there folks....... first thread. here weeeee go.........................

I have a 2004 1.6 16v Twinport SXi , i last night changed the bulbs in the dash etc to blue led bulbs and i had to take the yellow defuser out of the milage display, which was the part i was worried about,

anyway put in bulbs, car back together and i turn on the egnition and the fuel gauge hand was twiching up and down on the empty mark?? hmmmm i thought, so started the car and the rev didn't work, speedo, temp nor did the fuel work,

checked all the fueses, the connections, so took the dash apart again, standard bulbs back in and it was doin the same!! so took it all apart and held the connections on and moved the hand with my finger, whooo everything was working fine, turned off car and back on and it done the same!

so the moral of the storey is.......... fuel gauge is twitchin/vibrating and non of the dials work without moving the fuel gauge by hand!

can anyone please help?

thanks in advance

cheers

mike

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like its not fitted back in the connector properly
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem mate when you put back on the Gauge needles you pushed them down to far just take the needles off again but don't push it all the way down

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the replys,

it could possibly be the connection but i don't think it is as ive tried pulling the clocks out and pushing them back in several times. i will check it day light tomorow again,

"No problem mate when you put back on the Gauge needles you pushed them down to far just take the needles off again but don't push it all the way down"

Enigma ?? this is not the case as the needle is not fully pushed on.

the problem is asthough there needs to be against something, like a stop sort of thing.

confused.com = thats what i am!

possibly a sticking gauge motor?? or faulty? would this be possible?

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All gauges faulty at the same time? Doesn't sound wright something is stopping the gauges ie needles or more likely the surround as you say the needles are not pushed all the way home, disconnect the plug from the dash and plug it directly into the clocks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try removing all the needles, fit the dials and then turn off the ignition. Lightly fit the needles and see if the problem reoccurs. It could be you've moved the guage needle so when you've fitted the needles back on they are trying to centralise and hitting the stop because they are set too low.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello again,

tried everything, use electric cleaning stuff in a tin for the connection, still no joy! the whole dash was in bits again, slightly bent the connections on the dash to make sure all was fine.

so i have put a video on youtube to show you exactly whats happening, it also carries on vibrating for 5sec after the ignition is turned off!

please take a look.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMep04_TmE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suspect the problem lies with the mileage display. I had a set of 160 clocks go belly up when one of the LEDs I was installing in there was faulty, it seems this buggered the speedo up after a few mins of it being turned on. Fitted the same LED plate in another speedo and it did the same, however I was ready for it and switched it off before it fried the board, when the LED plate was removed from the second set of clocks the speedos worked fine.

You could try removing the mileage display bulb but I suspect you've buggered the clocks by now.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so................. the clocks are f***ed basically? i got warrenty with the car do you think i could possibly claim, obviously putting the standard bulbs back in, or would i try sue the company that sold me the bulbs? lol.

or anything else i could try.......... just anything?

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could try and refit the old bulbs and see if they'll replace them under warranty, no good trying to sue the LED supplier, he wouldn't have known the LED had an internal fault. Plus he'll just claim you fitted them incorrectly. Make sure you leave no tell tale marks on the speedos if you try the warranty thing, no need to refit the mileage diffuser as it's impossible to see it's not fitted from the outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast