Thread: First time washing my car... EVER

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First time washing my car... EVER

Ok im going to attempted the first wash on my car sometime soon and I want to make sure ive got everything I need so when the weather is decent I can make the most of it.
    Ive never really washed a car before (that sounds stupid but my previous car was a wee fiesta lookalike I would just take threw the car wash ( im not lazy )

But as im going to have to give the roof a good cleaning I thought I should give it a go myself.

Somehow I already have some Halfords Advanced car wash and the turtlewax cleaner/conditioner for softops but I think I will be replacing the later with the autoglym fabric roof kit as it has loads of good reviews and results from what I can find...

So Tomorrow im off to halfords to buy a couple of buckets, the roof kit, a nice deep pile wash mitt (or the best i can get there.) and possibly some kind of kit for the wheels.

So my question is, have I missed anything out? Should i get a better car wash? im not sure i really want to try waxxing or polishing yet but should I?

Ive tried swatting up (mostly at detailingworld) but im jus trying to get a nice basic clean on the go just now without spending too much
    Make Tea Not War
    {milk'n'two for me }

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mate if you've been on detailing world then you know the score,two bucket method for the wash,megs crystal or gold class shampoo is by FAR better the halfords advanced shampoo,buy a lambswool wash mitt and a drying towel so much better than a chamois leather or drying blade.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for a beginner who doesn't want to spend too much or get too advanced just yet then a good start would be:

1 - clean wheels with a non acidic wheel cleaner (the foaming ones are quite handy and cheap enough - just make sure it's the non-acidic one, as acid based wheel cleaners can damage your alloys, getting under the lacquer and corroding the wheel) I'd suggest meguiars hot rims as a good trade off between effectiveness and cost - readily available in halfords

2 - wash the car using a car shampoo (not wash'n'wax or fairy liquid) such as meguiars gold class, or autoglym car shampoo. Use the two bucket method and a deep pile sheepskin/lambswool wash mitt

3 - rinse then it is a good idea to clay the car, try meguiars quick clay kit as a good starter kit for most people, use plenty of lubrication (quick detailer is included in the package) It is quite straightforward - using plenty of QD on the panel, rub gently side to side, you will feel a "dragging" sensation as the clay picks up the contaminants bonded to the paintwork, and then it will glide, a sign that the section you are working on is cleansed. There is plenty more info on the guides on here and on detailing world though.

4 - wash/rinse again then dry carefully with waffle cloths or microfibre towels, then polish/wax. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a useful all purpose polish, and collinite waxes are highly rated by most people as excellent value with durability and ease of use.

You will often see meguiras referred to as Megs, Augto Glym as AG, Super Resin Polish as SRP, micro fibre cloth as MF, quick detailer as QD and two bucket method as TBM or 2BM.

Hope this helps,

Kirsty.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh cool thats great, got my shopping list on the go so il have to price it all up on the website soon.
    I take it wont be able to get a lambswool mitt at halfords though

Also regarding polish and wax, do you do both or is it one or the other ( yea im a noob )
    Make Tea Not War
    {milk'n'two for me }

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do both. Polish first, then wax.

If you're in no rush for products, then visit cleanyourcar.co.uk. Everything for sale on there is researched by Tim, and the customer service is out of this world.

I'd recommend Maxi Suds II with a Eurow mitt.
    Sonus Der Wunder Drying towel
    Sonus clay sampler kit
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime
    Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 wax
    Megs Hot Rims Wheels Cleaner
    Megs Endrance High Gloss Tyre shine.

Bingo Bango. The first purchase always sets you back, but you just replace and add to your kit as you go along.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can get a genuine sheepskin wash mitt at halfords, I have a few, true the mega expensive ones are a bit better but I've not found any problem with the halfords ones if that's easiest for you to buy from.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thats great i think im going to get what i can from halfords and then get a wee delivery as that roof of mine is getting in a sorry state now and it needs doing first

so hopefully get the AG cabrio care kit, some Megs gold class wash and possibley the hot rims and lambswool mitt if they have them at halfords
    Should i get a brush for the hot rims?

then get my towel, polish, wax and clay online.

I like the idea of the Pete's 53 wax and its had rave reviews everywhere (aswell as seeing some nice pics here)
    what would you recommend as a polish to compliment it?

Alot of guides say to mask up the roof if im working on the body and vice versa (also im guessing the glass rear window for the soft top cleaner) does anyone have any tips about this, is it jus good ole' masking tape and maybe some paper?

sorry to ask so many questions, gonna have to spend alot of time and money, poor wee car is looking a bit neglected
    Make Tea Not War
    {milk'n'two for me }

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStratman View Post
    I like the idea of the Pete's 53 wax and its had rave reviews everywhere (aswell as seeing some nice pics here)
    what would you recommend as a polish to compliment it?
    As I said in my post above, Dodo Juice Lime Prime. It's a paint cleaner with mild abrasives in it to help with minor swirling. Using this will allow your wax to bond better and give a better finish.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    As I said in my post above, Dodo Juice Lime Prime. It's a paint cleaner with mild abrasives in it to help with minor swirling. Using this will allow your wax to bond better and give a better finish.
    ahh i see... I looked it up but I thought it was wax aswell
    *added to shopping list *

Got my haul from halfords today and im coiled and ready like a python waiting for the weather to change

i can tell the difference between the halfords and the Megs gold class wash's without even opening them! Its so much thicker!

I'l get some before and afters up when the weather finally changes, although I am tempted to start washing now I dont think the darkness will help along with my car thermostat reading 7degrees....
    Make Tea Not War
    {milk'n'two for me }

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get out there and wash it in the rain!!!!!
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast