Thread: My £350 find. No pics. {{VIDEO TOUR}}

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up My £350 find. No pics. {{VIDEO TOUR}}

Posted a thread last night showing just one pic of my Astra 1.4 Merit I bought 2 days ago for £350. I was surprised by how much praise it got, so I have decided to do a video tour of my car.

My first priority is to get the bumpers and door trims colour coded because I hate cars with unpainted bumpers.

Anybody who'd like to give me suggestions to smarten up this car, I will be glad to consider them since this is my first astra and I'm a newbie lol .

Luke

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DYfKVrpLCAc

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it may be worth checking out a breakers/ebay to see if you can buy some black bits already sprayed, might be cheaper.

I sourced some colour coded handles and mirror covers for my mk4 at a nominal cost.

welcome to the club by the way buddy

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nice find to be fair

Better nick than my £350 find when I got mine
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks well tidy.

Normally the arches and rear spring hangers rust out on most of the MK3's
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fantastic.

I'd say - alloys (but save those wheeltrims, put them aside or ebay them as genuine vauxhall wheel trims in good nick will get more and more rare. I know someone who would have had them off you last week but they've managed to get a set now)

- de rub strip it - makes it look so much smoother and nicer - there aren't any metal clips or holes behind them, it's all glue - use a hair dryer or boiling water and gently prise the strips off, more heat on the aluminium strip on the front doors and lift that away too, then heat the glue strips and rub off with your thumbs while wearing a thick welding glove to prevent blisters, then wash, t cut, polish and wax where the rubber glue was - it's an easy and effective mod.

- de badge if you like BUT if you do, bear in mind that the griffin on the boot has two small holes under it which will need filling if you do. Might be best to leave it in place for now.

- When painting up your bumpers make sure you give them a good sanding and plenty of primer to key in the paint properly or it will flake off in no time. You could also replace the front and rear bumpers with GSi ones for a nicer (but still factory) look, they are also easier to paint Spraying up the handles and mirrors will also be a nice subtle touch.

- Perhaps replace the gear and handbrake gaiters as they show wear quite badly and can let down the look of your cockpit, new black aftermarket ones would be a nice touch.

- you can't go wrong with a thorough detailing - hoover then shampoo the interior thoroughly clean the glass inside and out, dress the plastic trim, then check out the car care and detailing forum for guides on detailing the outside of your car (or check www.detailingworld.com ) a simple start would be to thoroughly wash the exterior using the "two bucket method" and a sheepskin wash mitt (do not let any fairy liquid near your car - get some basic starter shampoo such as Meguiars Gold Class - it's entry level and not as expensive as others available but will not harm your car), try out the Meguiars clay kit and give her a good claying, polish then wax and it is an instant and very satisfying way to make your car stand out well.

- an electric aerial is a godesend on mk3 astras (trust me that manual one will get trapped in the boot and snap off sooner or later lol) Get yourself a haynes manual and you can't go far wrong, they are pretty basic vehicles to work on even for beginners, the aerial mod will require removing the back light for easy access but it is still an easy enough job.

- a simple ICE install will make long rides much more enjoyable - you should find that the standard mk3 front speakers are actually pretty good already so if they're working I'd leave them for now - get a decent head unit (motorworld have mutant mp3 ones at a very good price for entry level with pre outs, so you don't need much more if money is tight) and use the balance/fade function to test your speakers - you might find the tweeters in the door mirror pods have died (they can do that)

Just pop the triangular pods off gently (they are held on with little white clips - if you're down the scrapyard make sure you collect a handful of them from any vauxhalls - they're also behind the door cards, as it's useful to have a stash for when some snap or get lost during modifications. and the tweeters are held in with little squeezy clips and slide out from the holder, slide out the little spade terminals and you can either replace them with ones from the scrap yard, or uprate to better ones. Look on ebay for amplifiers and perhaps a sub and/or some 6x9's and you can knock up a stealth shelf easy enough with some MDF, acoustic carpet and spray adhesive.

Hope this has fiven you some ideas to start off with.

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said on tube, i think its a very nice and clean car chap