Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Hi.... Just bought an Astra! {{{PICS}}}

Hi,

A couple of months back I had to get rid of my 1st car, a Peugeot 309, because it was falling apart. And I've been the butt of any joke in my college since I had done because I didn't have my own car anymore. Then one morning at break me and my mates went to the cafe we usually go to, which is next to a spares yard and one of my mates says: "Oi Luke theres a car for you!" As a joke, and I look around a see a P reg, black Mk.3 Astra 1.4 Merit (See Pic) with a big for sale sign on it. I thought to myself, that dont look too bad at all. So later on I went down by myself, took it for a test drive and then I was told by the owner he only wanted £350 for it, it's done 111K miles (a bit high I know), taxed till Dec '08 and MOT'd till Nov '08 and was fitted with 4 new tyres. The next day I bought it.

Now, obviously since it's from a scrappy and was so cheap, I'm probably going to be posting a few threads about problems I've got with my new toy ....

First of which isn't necessarily serious, just a little annoying, it's the Power Steering. It works brilliant, but only when I'm turning left, when I turn right it doesn't. I've checked the power steering fluid, theres enough there and it's clean. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar problem, or if anybody can give me suggestions on how to fix this.

Many thanks,

Luke

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, plans?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bargain fella welcome to the site cant help with the ps but might ad it would do my fcking head in

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to AOC from another mk3 owner! I have to say black is not one of the more common colours, particuarly on lower spec cars (usually sports and GSi's are more common in black - other colours include a dullish blue, brighter atlantic blue, darker metallic spectral blue, flame red, maroon, silver, metallic champagne, pineapple yellow and rarely, a metallic greenish/yellow colour more commonly seen on corsas.) Black mk3's though look lush IMO and yours in particular looks gorgeous to me. You've got yourself a fantastic find there and I'm sure she'll do you proud with some TLC.

Most important is to check your arches and filler cap area and if you find any signs of corrosion in these areas nip it in the bud immediately - these are the worst rot spots and if left untreated will quickly kill off your astra I'm not sure about your power steering but I'm sure someone else will be able to offer some expertise in this area.

Check out your regional group forum for detailed information on local meets and events, reccomended retailers and garages in your area etc. We attend shows big and small throughout the year as well as rolling road days, track events, factory visits etc so there is always something on.

Make yourself known in your regional forum and I'm sure the friendly locals will arrange a mini meet to say hi. (we try to have meets on a regular basis of at least once a month in our region, sometimes combining neighbouring regions on bigger events)

Larger shows are usually advertised on their own section, such as Trax, PV and Billing where we have a large AOC show stand prescense.

By joining up as a paid member you also get access to "locked" forums for members only, as well as getting useful discounts and perks such as Adrian Flux insurance discount and LMF vauxhall parts.

If you have any specific questions you can use the "search" facility (see the buttons at the top) type in a keyword and have a look at posts relating to your query, or if you can't find it just pop a new thread up in the forum most suited to your query, (eg "car care and detailing" if you have a question about polishes/waxes etc) AOC is all about sharing information and skills and having fun with our astras, and there is usualy someone who is willing to come round and lend a hand if you are unsure about something in return for tea & biscuits or beer tokens

Hope you enjoy the club!

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    hey, 350, can't knock it mate. Especially when you're at college!!

Also, 11 on a P, which is what, 12 years old, isn't something i'd call high myself. It's what i'd expect of a P-reg. My 51 plate has done 111k

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site, and yay another mk3 owner, as Kirsty says though, make sure the arches arn't rotten as it can get worse, that reminds me i need to get mine sorted
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Looks and sounds a good buy
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding your power steering, It will more than likely be the power steering pump, I wouldnt know how much it would cost to replace it but probably wont be cheap unless your handy with a spanner!
    Astra SXI 1.6 16v
    > Irmscher i line <

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Nice cheap motor, welcome to the site mate.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello and welcome to aoc mate.

Nice MK3.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><