Thread: Woo Hoo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Woo Hoo

finally after a year and a half of waiting my holiday is almost here.
    2 weeks of hopefull nice weather and relaxing.
    going to turkey has any been befor and would recomend any were to go or to do?

ufortuantly when i come back the job search is back on lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one mate, lucky for some.

I couldn't tell you the last time I went on holiday.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><

Status
    the man in the boat
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my brother in law has been there twicw this year, he loved the place, he is going back next year to, i think he stayed in marmirus

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yup, been to Turkey, lived there for quite a few years, I wouldn't reccomend anyone going there tbh as it was a hell hole, but if you must, then most important things are (don't be fooled by glossy tourist resorts and let your guard slip)

1 - do not drink any water EVEN FROM BOTTLES *UNLESS* you have broken the seal on the bottle yourself, or seen it broken in front of you

2 - do not eat raw fruit or vegetables without peeling them first (as they are often washed in sewage contaminated water, we used to disinfect all our fruit and veg in milton tablets before use)

Places to see - Istanbul is beautiful, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia etc are magnificent. If you go to see Nemrut Dagi then you will almost certainly have to stay in the Zeus Hotel (was the ONLY hotel there for many years) - take a sleeping bag (the beds have bedbugs lol) and you only get electricity for a few hours a day.

Turkey is a beautiful place but if you are not an experienced traveler then it is not the place to leave the beaten track - play it safe and stick to the tourist resorts where you will be comparitively safe (except for the usual pickpockets etc) In the backwaters things can be nasty. That said, the Kurdish "rebels" (local term, not mine) who are much maligned by the local Turkish people, aren't actually bad people at all, we found them to be extremely polite and hospitable to a fault. Any Turkish tourguide you are with however will probably never let you get anywhere near them.

Oh and don't bother going to Diyabakir. It sucks lol. (if you must know it has two interesting sites, which you can see in all of half an hour - not worth the flight there - the roman bridge and the old city walls.)

random words for your trip:

Lutven - please
    yakshamla - good night
    tesheker adurum - thank you
    chock tesheker adurum - thank you very much

erm I can't remember much more at this time of night (memory like a sieve at the best of times, except portakal is orange and ekmek is bread lol)

Hope you enjoy it anyway, Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers totally put me off now lol o well
    i not goign to a hotel i going to a villa is it the same with the water there?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes, do not trust any water that is not sealed in a bottle, trust me over the years I've had enough episodes of food poisoning, salmonella, dysentry etc to last me a life time, and that is DESPITE all the precautions, IIRC in 3 years in Turkey I had dysentry on at least 5 occasions, and it is NOT pleasant!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the help mate
    i heard it was a very nice place and would happily recomend it, now you have painted a different picture.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    meh I'm a cynic, thats what happens when you LIVE in places lol. It's probably different if you're not used to travelling and you get to see a weeks' worth of rose-tinted-glasses tourist's eye view of a place. Once that wears of you see it for what it really is, and on a few occasions we would go and help out tourists in the local "hospital" who had fallen into the trap and had no one to look after them or organise their medical treatment (if you can't talk for yourself you're screwed), we even had to organise a medevac for a young south african couple who were involved in a car accident, and donated our own (tested safe) blood to keep them alive. Nurses in most hospitals do not actually care for the patients in the way you are used to - it is up to the family of patients to bathe, buy medication, feed and care for them (no NHS jokes here guys) so if you don't have any family with you (like the south african couple who were unconcious in intensive care) then you're on your own, hence our voluntary work to help out.

Company policy was that all employees and their families were blood screened on a regular basis so we coud all be each others blood bank, and we all had to carry an emergency medical kit which included sterile suture material and needles, syringes, scalpel blades, dental equipment and dressings, purely because Turkey is still classed as an unsafe country. You should also be fully vaccinated for hepatitis, tetanus, typhoid, TB etc.

Kirsty.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oooh, but you must try the baklava, although unless you go to Diyabakir it won't be the best it can be, it is still delicious. It is baked in large trays and you can go to a kind of patisserie and get boxes of it. Basically it is wafer thin pastry (each sheet should be so thin that you can read a newspaper through it) folded many times and layered with honey (Diyabakir honey is the most famous and the best in the world) and crushed pistachio nuts, then scored into patterns and baked.

It is sooooooooooo yummy!

Also if you are looking for a present for your girlfriend, mum etc then try to find a perfume shop, and ask for some Ambergris. The usual method of buying it is to go to a silver shop first and buy a small container (like a pill box), pick a nice pretty one with engravings or whatever, then you take that to the perfume shop, they weigh the box, fill it with ambergris (like a sandy paste) then re weigh it and you pay by weight.

A tiny box (1" square for example) will last a lifetime more or less (if kept for special occasions) - it is the raw ingredient of many top end perfumes but is worn just on it's own, it is very powerful so you only need a few grains rubbed on the neck or wrists and it will usually still be there the next day - not strong and overpowering but you will still be able to smell it up close the next day. It is not a nasty chemical artificial smell as it is 100% pure ingredient. All the women in my family have their own stash and mine has lasted me since about 1989 It is an alluring musky subtle scent that is wonderful, and when bought outside Turkey will cost you about 20 times as much (at least) - that is if you can find it at all.

Kirsty

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Have yourself an excellent holiday
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today