Thread: Could it be the battery - problem after problem

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Could it be the battery - problem after problem

last night i went to get sum money out and i left my sideligts on whilst i got some out, literally leaving it 30 seconds without the engine running. i get back to my car, turn the ignition on and lights come on, turn the key, then nothing.

so i get the family up to help me bump start it, get it started and for some reason the power steering was not working

i put the battery on charge over night and try and have another go this mornin, and still nothin!

No problems before hand, is it normal for batterys to just go like this?

i have had problem after problem lately with the car and my life, and this is just the icing on the cake as i have to drive to work every day and am meant to be goin to southampton on sunday for a health and safety course!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sure does sound like a worn out battery, get a volt meter on it to check
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont think i have one of them lyin around especially seen as i am an electrical engineer apprentice!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similiar problem on my old mk4 astra sport. it turned out to be a knackered alternator. But you say that after charging the battery still nothing which would indicate the battery is stuffed which could well be caused by a knackered alternator. The car would use the battery to run rather than the alternator. the load on the battery in this condition left long enough would put the battery into a condition known as deep discharge which would spell the end of its life unfortunately!

So to summarize you will probably need a new battery then you need to check if the alternator is giving the correct voltage at the battery terminals when the car is idling.

Hope this helps
    Mk4 Sri-T with Milltek resonated cat-back exhaust

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as just been mentioned above could be the alternator mine went about a month back and very similair problems.

The power steering on the astra is powered by the alternator so when the alternators not producing the power your power steering will fail aswell.
    99-V 5door sxi - 15" pro sprint alloys, de-badged, eyebrows, tinted rear lights, K&N panel filter

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer i fitted a brand spanking new alternator and belt bout a month ago! maybe a wire or something is loose or something on the alternator