Thread: cam belt q

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

cam belt q

as known.. astra cam belts are supposed t'be changed on 40k... my car clicked over to 50k a few days back, ive done about 4500k in it since ive had it, is there anyway of knowing whether the cam belt as been changed in it since the big 40? as i've got to do a 150mile round trip on saturday and am abit worried about it... ive checked the service log and ti doesnt mention a cam change. i need to get it changed a.s.a.p but have only been doing short trips in it for ages and havnt bothered and this journey as cort me abit by suprise
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if in dought best change it. theres no need to risk it tbh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if your not happy change it you can get belt kits on ebay for 50 quid i got a water pump from my local motor factors for 25 quid and a garage will fit it for 55 quid

for less than 150 quid is it worth the risk of it snaping and breaking the whole engine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if there'sno mention of it on the services sheets it prob not been done, my car had 60k on it when i bought it and still had the original belt on so they do last but for how long? might snap next week might never snap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you never know how long they last like you say there is a reasonable chance it will never snap but is it worth the risk

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines done 101k and neva had a cambelt.

gotta get round to doin sumtime but dont use the car much as in probably once a week so not really concerned with mine at the mo but i will do it sum day

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    40,000 or 4 years, whichever is sooner....they had a habit of snapping well before the original Vauxhall interval of 80,000 miles, most seemed to go under 60,000 miles so they stuck the interval at 40,000 to be on the safe side. It's the cambelt rollers (or something like that!) that fail I believe as they are plastic and wear too quickly. I only ever found out they changed the interval to 40,000 through a friend who was a Vauxhall mechanic - happened to meet him when he was visiting other friends and he gave me the 'lowdown' on the Astra. Even Vauxhall had to be reminded about the 40,000 change when I went in for my 40,000 mile service.

It may never go..but it might...and if it does then bye bye engine! £200 now is way way cheaper than killing your engine tomorrow.