Thread: Fish related problem

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fish related problem

i noticed in the other thread that we are fortunate enough to have some fish hobbyists around on here, so i'd like to ask a question

i have a tropical fish tank with 2 danio's and 5 really tiny other fish in there, however the water on top of the tank often gets like some white bubbles that wont pop and they form a layer over the top of the tank, what is this?? and how can i sort it??

i also have lots of goldfish flakes that i got given, would i be ok to feed these to the tropical fish?
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd avoid feeding the tropicals the goldfish food, likely different fat levels etc and other stuff.

What's your water change frequency/routine e.g. how often, how much, how and when do you clean your filters? How big is the tank?

You can probably lift the surface scum with some kitchen paper - drop a sheet flat on the water surface and quickly lift it off. The paper should lift the scum and if you do this over the whole tank it should clear it well enough.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the quick reply,

i've been told i need to do a 30% change once a week, but i'm having to do a 30% change every 2 - 3 days at this rate with all this stuff forming on top of the water, all this water changing is costing me a lot in de-chlorinator too :-(

i clean the filter around once a week, or sometimes once in two weeks, its a 50 ltr tank mate.
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A51M View Post
    cheers for the quick reply,

i've been told i need to do a 30% change once a week, but i'm having to do a 30% change every 2 - 3 days at this rate with all this stuff forming on top of the water, all this water changing is costing me a lot in de-chlorinator too :-(

i clean the filter around once a week, or sometimes once in two weeks, its a 50 ltr tank mate.
    STTOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're quite possibly doing more harm than good. Before we go any further - can you get pics of the foam up please?

Also list what your water changes are (weekly, monthly, how much etc) what food you currently give, what filters you use and if you have an air pump running - got real plants?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Depends...

I do a 50% water change weekly....

Piccy of the foam would be good. How do you clean the filter?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    How do you clean the filter?
    With Fairy liquid by the sounds of it

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    You're going overkill with the water changes. Unless you have an absolutely massive tank there is no way you should be doing water changes that frequently or at 30% at a time. We change 10% of our trop tank every other week and that's more than enough.

If you have scum forming it may mean that you could do with some more movement in the water or that you may be over feeding. Is your filter big enough for the volume of water? Is it up full whack? (There is no such thing as too much water turnover) Maybe it requires repositioning.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 60 litre tank gets a 50% water change once every 3 months if it needs it or not. It happily supported 2 dozen assorted neons, a load of bloodfins and 4 pleccys. Down to about a dozen in total now, as the tank was last stocked about 3 years ago.

Getting the filter running properly is the key. Mine's been cleaned twice in 3 years. It's an external Eheim thing that sits in the cabinet below - the crappy little built in tank ones are pointless IMHO.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 5ft tank has 2/3 water change every 6 months. Benn doing that for years with no problems. The white scum can be taken off then do a water change.
    Gold fish food is not the right stuff for tropicals. Get some tetra flake, or some live water fleas.
    I'l always take the small fish off ya and they can share my tank with my Redtailed catfish.
    2004 Zafira GSi veccy-c intake/cat-back milltek/alpine
    2006 Focus ST dreamscience/full mongoose 275bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    need to know what the filter is as if its being cleaned to often its killing the beneficial bacteria on it which in turn helps the water quality,
    ie, good filter equals less water changes and problems
    also the bigger the tank the easier to keep running smoothly
    tilly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast