Thread: Help - Warning Light!

kr00zin_uk

Help - Warning Light!

I have just looked at the warning light in an online manual for the Astra I found on this site.

Unfortunately I can't find the exact symbol for my 1999 Astra 1.6 Sxi 3 Door. But it looks most like the exhaust emission light (and is located between the oil and battery symbol), except mine also has a lighting bolt through it.

I have had the car for years and it has never come on. I have only just passed my MOT just over a week ago and today it came on half way through my journey on the way to work and stayed on until I parked up (hopefully it will not come on again tonight).

Anyway does anyone know what has possibly caused this and what I can do to resolve it?

The only mod I have done is derestricted the airbox a while ago. Is it possible that in the winter months it is now getting an incorrect fuel to air mix?

Also the last service (full dealership service) was around 12 months ago and it is now due again, could it be that?

Many thanks for your help! - I don't want to find myself out in the cold this winter...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as yours is an early model - the light in question is in fact the EML (engine management light)

u can diagnose the fault ur self by using the paperclip method

heres a how to showing what to do

Paperclip self-diagnosis test for early mk4s

Basically lift up the cover (ie the u-shaped piece of plastic) underneath the handbrake. Here you'll find the OBD (on board diagnostics) port. You need to fit the paperclip/wire in pins 5 & 6. Switch on ignition until dash lights come on then count the number of flashes the engine management light gives out.

It'll be a set sequence of flashes and pauses.

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes
    pause
    3 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number
    1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

It'll then repeat itself about 3 times then move onto the next fault code if more than one is stored.

More info can be found at www.topbuzz.co.uk - click on "Info Tech Section" then "Reading ECU Fault Codes" and all the info is there.

It really does sound bizarre i know - but i did it on mine and got the code straight away.

Report on here your findings - or check on the site above (or even a google) and youll get the same result that a diagnostic hook up would give....only for nowt!

To remove access panel - insert small flatblade screwdriver as shown and pivot the panel upwards....it should look like this once removed.

Heres what the OBD port should look like (although its not from a Mk4)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    probably something simple such as EGR valve......

whatever the code is, it would be advisable to clean the throttle body, EGR & ICV out with carb cleaner as its a good thing for any owner to do

kr00zin_uk
    Many thanks for your help, it worked!

I have just read the error code and it is:

4 flashes - 10 flashes - 5 flashes - 1 flash

So is that an error code of 4051 then? Do you know what the problem/error is?

Cheers!

kr00zin_uk
    The warning light didn't flash on the way home... Typical!

I suppose I should be happy!

Anyway I did a quick search on google and found nothing for the error code I got (4051).

However I did find a website where someone else received the same error as me, but it was actually (1405) EGR Valve Feedback as they got the order wrong.

But my code definitely came out in the order of (4051), so now I'm confused!

Any ideas anyone?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id still clean the throttle body, EGR and ICV tho with some carb cleaner

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the how to on check the engine management light
    mine has came on for the last 2days and gone off after 2mins
    ive just checked it and the code turned out to be 1405 which is the EGR value but i had it replace about 2months ago
    any ideas on why it may of gone again?