Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2001 Astra 2.2 sri

Hi people any help here would be great

Ok i recently had my cam chain done and when i went to pick it up they couldnt start it so i came back next day and they said they couldnt get the oil pressure up. So they showed me the old parts and said they put new plugs in for me aswell but the car is running lumpy give it a week and all should be fine so i did and the car was still lumpy so i took it back and they said it could be the timeing and he later phoned me and said its half a tooth out. so i picked the car up and it was fine started fist time felt smooth only to find out the next day on the motorway it had no power i struggled to 70mph so i took it back today and they said it could be the throttle body so ive just picked it up AGAIN! and the power is back but its lumpy again i have to step on the accelerator to get it started and keep revving it to keep her alive or it dies on me. Also when it is ticking over its hunting quite bad and the lights go dim then bright

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like they've done a shite job! Timing is not right. I bet this isn't a vaux dealer whose done it? Fred in the shed?
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Not fred in a shed i went to a propper company.

Ok just an update I have just took my car to a different garage who then told me to take it to another who have had the 2.2 engine problems a lot. As soon as I took it in he said the timing is out then I asked how much he would do it he gave me a price of 250 he also said I shouldn’t pay however the garage who did it should pay so how am I going to go about this and what if they refuse to pay?
    Cheers.

Martyn

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it was me mate, I'd pay for the work then turn back up at the original garage with a receipt of your payment for the new work done, and suggest that they re-imburse you with the costs since they did not fix the problem - Legally you should have a leg to stand on since they failed to identify it as a timing problem and instead made you pay for un-needed and unrelated work, if you've got the time give the Citizens Advice Bureau up they should let you know exactly where you stand...
    2001 Y Reg Dark Green 3 Door Vauxhall Astra Mk4 SXi - 1.8 16v (currently standard!)
    RIP Dad - 15/4/1959 to 18/4/2009 - You will be missed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers pal im going on holiday on the 28th for 2 week then i have it booked in when i come back. Prior to gettin it done ill give them a call thanks again dude.

martyn.