Thread: Z20LET ECU Security Code Re-Programming?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z20LET ECU Security Code Re-Programming?

Hi guys,

Ok i don't know alot currently on this particular topic.

Basically i'll try and explain what it is i'm doing, ive got a 1.8 SRi mk4 Astra, which i'll very soon be fitting the Z20LET engine in its place.

From someone else i bought a Z20LET ECU, transponder, and key

I don't know if i can just take the board in the fob bit from this key, switch it with my spare key, and this will start the engine? or is the chip integrated into the key itself?

Ideally what i would like to do, but i don't know if its possible...

I'd like to get my security pass card for my car, and the ECU and take it to Vauxhall or somewhere and get them to re-program the ECU with my security code. Is this even possible? can the security code be changed to my current one on this ECU so my keys and transponder will work straight away without problem?

Anyone have any info on this situation? I'm sure someone has once said the security feature can be dissabled, as such i'd assume the key can be changed to suit my keys and transponder?

If it is possible, anyone know roughly how much i'd have to pay to have this done?

Many thanks for anyone that can give me some help.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Come on people i need help here!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    take the board out pop it in key that fits locks with the chip, it just pulls out with a bit of help
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the help.

So if i'm understanding this right, its as simple as removing the board from in the key fob, fitting it in the spare key and fits my locks and this will work ok? The reason i was worried about this particular bit is my brother had a corsa where the chip was supposed to be embedded into the itself, so it did worry me incase the Astra was the same in which case i'd have a big problem.

Don't suppose you'd happen to know if i could simply take the ECU somewhere and have the re-program the security code to the one that originally came with my car? so my original keys etc would all work as they currently do? or is it not that simple?

Cheers,
    Dan.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano2k0 View Post
    Come on people i need help here!
    People may be unwilling to help as it may compromise the security of their cars should car thieves and joyriders be perusing the forum.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How does this compromise the security of their cars?

I'm simply doing a conversion, and in an ideal world would like to use my security code for my car on my new ECU so my existing keys and transponder work with it?

Obviously for this to put someones security at breach, they would have to give out where they live, and the security code for their car so you could have a key programmed or a ECU and key programmed, even then the key wouldn't fit the lock anyway??

To be quite honest, i'm not a car theif so wouldn't have a clue as to what info such a person would require to know, but i know such cars do get stolen, ive read it on here before in the past, so i guess they already know what they are doing..

I'll try and phone Vauxhall later and see if they are able to re-program my ECU with my code. All i wanted to know is if this is possible?

I also thought maybe someone with a Tech2 could do this for me? but i don't know if its even possible.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok been on the phone to vauxhall, so will share my experience so anyone with simillar questions knows the answers.

Basically, Vauxhall wanted to know if my ECU had been reset, they said it was only possible to do this in the car the ECU came from, as i have the wiring loom, engine, transponder and key from the car i can't see this being an issue resetting it once its installed in mine?

He claimed it wasn't possible and could be done only in the car it came from, obviously this has to be a load of rubbish, as ive got basically everything from that car, so how can this be an issue? I explained that i have everything and it was basically just swapping shells so it should work, and he said they can try and hopefully it'll be well if i bring it in.

He also explained if i have a key for it, which i do, i can swap the board and the chip over from this key into my own and it should run fine, at this point i'll take it to Vauxhall or somewhere and have them try to re-program the ECU with my code so my keys work again, or will have my keys coded to work with central locking and the code for the ecu etc.

So to sum things up, yes what i'm trying to do is possible, but the ECU must be reset first to clear its original code so it'll accept a new one, i think i should be ok and fingers crossed this will work out how i'm thinking.

If anyone can shed anymore light on this topic, please feel free to do so as i'd like to know if its possible to do this a easier way, ie if i could somewhere reset the ECU easily at home and just have them program my code onto it that would be much better and easier.

Hope this helps others that are stuck and wondering what the best move is.

Cheers.