Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you let Vauxhall change replace your turbo??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would you let Vauxhall change replace your turbo??

Hi everyone.

My ZLETs recently started using a fair amount of oil, (dropped 3 marks on the dipstick in just a week). It's on 70k so I'm thinking the turbo is finally on its way out.

My question is would you trust a Vauxhall dealership to do the change? or would it be safer to take the car to a speciallist like Courtenay.

Or how easy is it to replace the turbo myself?? I've got access to a workshop ramp and all the usual garage equipment?? Is it a fairly straightforward job??

Finally any ideas of what a new turbo fitted costs??

Cheers for any help
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo now - VX220 Turbo someday soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need anew vxr turbo on and be qouted about £700-£750, suppied and fitted from Regal. The place i got my VXR turbo fitted really hated fitting the LEH as it was a pain in the arse and took about 3-4hours.
    HTH

Adam
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why wouldnt you let a vauxhall main dealer who knows your car inside out fit it,if you read the "about us " in the coutnenays site they started off as vx dealers many years ago and vauxhall turned to them to do a lot of mods on cars 1 being a manta turbo etc.i use to work in vx main dealer and thats how i got involved in the running of the rally cars.i would trust vx or courtnays any time
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, I don't see the problem with VX fitting a turbo, at least a warranty claim on the turbo/fitment should be quibble free.

There was a recent thread on here not too long ago about someone who had a turbo fitted by one of the main tuners which had a bolt missing/loose or something and oil leaked from the turbo .

Fair enough if everything is done properly in the first place and something goes wrong but piss poor when bolts aren't seen to properly when doing the job.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I would fit the turbo my self
    take the front of the car off bumper and Rads to give your self some more room and its a Easy job just make sure you have all that parts needed First

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers, is it that easy to do? Is it just a case of whipping the old one off and bolting on the new one?

I'm fairly mechanically minded but never done a turbo before so don't want to feck up my own car.
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo now - VX220 Turbo someday soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by montyfox View Post

There was a recent thread on here not too long ago about someone who had a turbo fitted by one of the main tuners which had a bolt missing/loose or something and oil leaked from the turbo .

Fair enough if everything is done properly in the first place and something goes wrong but piss poor when bolts aren't seen to properly when doing the job.

This was me and yeah that did happen but with the turbo getting so hot and cold frequently then stuff does move and loosen up and the recommended torque settings on the bolts on and around the turbo aren't that tight to start with!!

I think that tuning places ought to fit the rubber oil pipe in the first place though and it wouldn't have happened!!

I would let VX fit it but it be jubious as to whether they did a good job or not as they do seem to f88k stuff up alot
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I managed to do the turbo on my corsa c with out taking off bumper's and rad's so an astra will be even easier !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cant you just drop the exhaust then lift the turbo out the top....

Looked like it was possible to me, when i took my precat out worst problem i hit was lineing the turbo upto the decat pipe and getting that clamp over and tight enough.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's f**k all wrong with vx!!!!

Iv been at mine for 8 years now and yeah things do go wrong sometimes but its always been put right without a problem!

Fair enough some places you wont see this but thats life.

I fitted the VXR blower to mine. About 8 months down the line the manifold started blowing and a bolt snapped in the head even when new ones were used!!!
    (fair enough i couldn't shout at myself but it just happens).

If you've got a receipt for the job then you'll be fine!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast