Thread: 1.7 DTi Izuzu engine losing water / faulty thermostat or temp sensor

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 DTi Izuzu engine losing water / faulty thermostat or temp sensor

have a 1.7 DTi astra estate 2004 model thats losing water but can find where it going to. there is no water in the oil and also no oil in the water either was thinking it may be some kind of leak but surely it would show up as a crystaline deposit around hoses etc because there is plenty of antifreeze in there. Also thinking it may be evaporating of somewhere but have no idea as all hoses seem fine and the header tank cap seems fine too.

Also should mention that engine looks like its running cold but i think it is either the thermostat or the temp sensor that goes to the dash. Sits around 60 under normal driving but if in traffic or ticking over for long period it makes its way back to where it should normally be.

Had this problem before and replaced the thermostat and that sorted it so that what makes me think it may be this again but if it is thast means i only got 20 to 25 thou out of the new thermostat i put in. Get my parts trade at vauxhall cos im a taxi driver and was thining of getting a thermostat there for around 20 quid as it may be more reliable than the quinten hazel on i put in or maybe it was faulty to start with. Also exploring that the temp sensor is sending the wrong temp to the dash.

Any ideas on these problems would be appreciated folks.

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would depend on how quickly you are loosing water, if it very slow it could well be a failing head gasket. You should get the system pressure tested to 1 bar to see if you can find out where it is coming from, it may be the plugs on your water pump. If a pressure test shows a drop in pressure and no obvious leaks then a leakdown test should be performed to help rule out the head gasket. First go ahead with the cheeper option of replacing the thermostat if you think that will solve it, however it won't explain the water loss.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there thanks for your reply,

It can loose as much as half an inch from the max line on the header tank to be honest its not really as if its losing from the max to the min in a short or long period. However it is still interesting that this occurs but even a small leak from the gasket would show i would think but there is no residue from antifreeze around the head and defo not any signs of water in the oil. This is the thing though because i can run for weeks and theres no difference then next thing its down so i top it up an d it does the same again goes for a week or two then it down again.

My other post is about the car being smokey so its possible that the thermostat side of things could be the problem for that smoke im getting. I will change the thermostat in the next week to see if this may be the problem.

Any thoughts on the water loss would be great but it may just be nothing to worry about.

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem with head gaskets is becuase of the high pressure involved if water is entering the bore, especilly small amounts it will be vaporised almost instantly without clouds of white smoke, a further complication of this is cooling of the chamber which will interfere with with fuel burn causing smoke. There are lots of things to check first, I would suggest that pressure test I mentioned earlier it should not cost a fourtune and you will see where any leaks are, which could be coming from anywhere in the system. Also make sure the water is not forcing its way past the filler cap on the header tank and all hose clips a good and tight. Take a logical aproach and you will nail down the problem.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm this is a strange one just checked my levels oil and water etc and my water level has returned to normal today lololol very strange indeed could the system be drawing air and causing air locks somewhere that are holding the water back maybe that could be my prob.

my mechanic that i use for my more complicated jobs has told me he reckons its coming from a hose because its intermitent and only a small amount but that dont explain the waters return!!!!!!

says it may evaporate from a hose that only becomes leaky when it gets hot. dont know if its a pressure test it needs but it shall have to wait for a couple of weeks (money!) either that i may buy a kit cos we have a few cars anyways and it may come in handy. I would expect if the engine runs at the normal temp when the thermostat is replace if that is the cooling prop then the evaporation or water loss would be more severe so i'll explore this route first and see how it goes. If it aint causing me many problems after the thermostat then i'll leave it!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra looseing water

the problem with your astra is def your water pump mine showed no evidence of leaking and had my injector sleaves and head gasket done; guess what still loosein water so i had my water pump changed and stopped loosein water but then the water started frothing up and throwing it out of the header tank only at speed;took it back to ind vauxhall dealer and they found out by chance my rad fan wasnt staying on long enough but trust me and do ur water pump it will def be that