Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 DTi Izuzu Engine Quite Smokey

Hi there folks,

Im finding that my 1.7 DTi astra estate with the Izuzu engine is beginning to get quite smokey. I have 155,000 on the clock and use it as a taxi but have had no previous problems with anything on the car or engine except for normal wear and tear.

The car is service every 15000 with a full service kit and was just service 2 weeks ago but this has made very little difference. Used a can or redex first but difference was questionable now used a can or forte and still no joy in smoke reduction. I suspect it may just be the mileage on the engine kicking in but im unsure. Engine runs very well with good acceleration and smooth operation but taxi test is due soon and im unsure if it will pass a smoke test as it is.

May just be paranoid but just checking to see if anyone has any ideas incase i could clean anything etc for example the injectors or whatever. was also thinking it may be a ecu timing abnormality so i was gonna disconnect the battery to reset the ecu back to default injection timings also no fault codes from the ecu either.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will depend on what colour the smoke is and when it is happening. i.e. when on warm up or when hot under normal driving conditions. Give us some more info and maybe we can help.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how about cleaning the inlet manidold my di was smokey had mine done last week and its sorted now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is ti only wen you rev it hard or drive it hard/accelate hard

i get this too i alway put it done the it overfueling as im on the understandiung thats how dti's work.

p.s. only can just see it ion day light and at night seems to be black (ie diesel)
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It seems to be a whitish grey coloured smoke that happens when accelerating and then when i accelerate hard it turns black. Cant really see much of it during the day just a small whiff of the whitish grey smoke in the side mirror on the same side a sthe exhaust but i can obviously see the black stuff during the day.

It dont burn any oil at all im lucky if i can even measure a level change between oil changes because its probably that small. A mate told me he thought it might be to much fuel being burning and the excess is showing up as smoke thats what made me thing there was a solution by resetting the ecu to defaults for injection timings.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also forgot to mention it happens when cold and warm and when loaded and unloaded. Most noticable last nite when i was coming back on the motorway taking it up to between 70 and 80 in fifth was not too bad but the slightest touch of the accelerator to push it on after 80 caused a huge cloud of smoke to emerge from the exhaust. This happened not just the once but every time i hit the pedal mostly whitish grey smoke but looks brown at night time and if i tried to push it harder it would turn black again.

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm highlighting not anything new here but it could be the EGR valve. Just removed and cleaned my 1.7DTi EGR this morning and the car seems to be back to its former self, namely normal levels of smoke and vastly reduced flat spot pre turbo boost revs. altogether much better.
    The valve was very choked. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner (messy job) checked the vac. pipes and refitted.
    Good luck.

Steve.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm possibly this may be the problem but still unsure because the turbo kicks in very quick and i get no lag whatsoever so i think the turbo kicks in faster than other 1.7 dti's at around 1500 rpm from looking about the average rpm for turbo assistance is approx 17 to 1800 rpm.

However i will investigate!

Thanks for your help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Grey smoke is usually caused by a restriction of air supply, possibly in the air cleaner, but as you have just had it serviced this is unlikley, however check out the ducting just to be sure. Also check that your engine is reaching the correct operating temp. i.e not running cold. Your thermostat may not be working too well or is rated wrong.

Black smoke can have a number of causes, air restriction, incorrect valve clearance, defective injectors or poor compression. Low boost pressure can also cause problems by not supplying enough volume of air to the turbocharger. Diesels need heat and a good supply of air to burn fuel properly so any restriction in air flow will cause you some smoke.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner001 View Post
    It seems to be a whitish grey coloured smoke that happens when accelerating and then when i accelerate hard it turns black. Cant really see much of it during the day just a small whiff of the whitish grey smoke in the side mirror on the same side a sthe exhaust but i can obviously see the black stuff during the day.

It dont burn any oil at all im lucky if i can even measure a level change between oil changes because its probably that small. A mate told me he thought it might be to much fuel being burning and the excess is showing up as smoke thats what made me thing there was a solution by resetting the ecu to defaults for injection timings.

Thanks
    My '01 Astra Y17DT engine with 86,000 miles on the clock does the exact same - has been doing this since I brought the car 8 months ago when it had 62,000 miles on the clock and it has had 3 services since I brought it. It passed its MoT a couple weeks ago, so I'm not worrying too much about this. Although I'm just curious why my engine does this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast