Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 diesel rattle

Hi All

Last night I nearly bought a year 2000 1.7 diesel astra van. It looks and drives great - its done 97K but has all the right paperwork - good price too.

BUT for one the engine warning light is on - probably nothing much as it drives ok but could be something horrible.

Secondly, and my real reason for not buying, when stationary there's a failrly umpleasant rattling noise comes out of the engine when you rev it. As the engine speed builds from idle it starts to rattle only very briefly as it passes around the 2000 rpm mark (slightly guessing the rpm there). Above that it sounds fine

If it was an older petrolengine that i'm much more familiar with i'd be thinking big ends and running a mile. . The engine was quite cold when I discovered this but i'm afraid it so put me off I didn't go on to get it warm.

Any thoughts guys

thanks

Nick

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Obvious things could be the alternator or water pump bearings or vibration from a loose air filter box, have another look and apply some hand pressure around the filter box, piping and engine cowlings to see if the rattle stops.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i drove a diesel astra van once and i gota admit it was quite loud, maybe theres nothing wrong with at all