Thread: Is my thermostat sticking?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Is my thermostat sticking?

Weird temp readings on the dash on the way to work today - it was pretty cold (3-4c) but it's been like that a few days recently.

My temp never got very high at all, at times it was sitting between min and 80c, it normally sits between 80-90 depending on driving speed/load.

I could raise the temp if I drove a bit harder, but as soon as I slacked off the temp dropped again very quickly. I ended up in standing traffic just before I stopped at work and it did soon go back to the normal readings.

I checked halfway to work that the coolant was still circulating and it was, I am also getting warm air from the vents in the car, so that suggests to me that my thermostat has perhaps stuck open? Better than being stuck closed I guess, but had me watching the temp dial frequently incase it did decide to close and stay shut!

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I think it's stuck open, just like mine, does it take a while to warm up aswell?

Town driving it goes up to 90, as soon as you hit a dual carriageway, motorway etc, goes off the scale ( Cold that is )
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is the first day I've had these 'problems', never ever seen this before so perhaps a pointer to go get it fixed now incase it sticks closed and kills my engine!