Thread: Courtenay FMIC or Universal FMIC

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Courtenay FMIC or Universal FMIC

Hi guys, just after everyones opinion really.

Im pretty happy with the rest of my car now and so im now going to start collecting bits ready for CS4 (currently running CS3) and i basically cant decide between the Universal FMIC and the Courtenay FMIC. Now i know the Courtenay one is alot more expensive but is there any real reason for this? Is it any better? I know its a better fit (fitting kit) but just wondering about performance really. I dont mind paying the extra if its a better unit but if theres nothing in it then ill go for the Universal one.

So basically Pros and cons for each would be great to help me decide
    SRI TURBO + COURTENAY CS3 =

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a universal intercooler as i think £599 is a bit much. my one only cost £200-£225 to do. and the rest of the money i save has payed for more bits for the car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In terms of quality of the intercooler then yes there's a huge difference, hence the price!

The core of the Courtenay cooler is much more efficient than that of most universal coolers, the design is optimised for the car your are fitting it to and the build standard is first class (not all universal ones are so good).

However if price is your main issue then you'll find any upgrade to the standard cooler is worth your time and effort.

Of course you get a fitting kit with the Courtenay cooler and you have to working it out yourself when fitting a universal one. There's lots of info here concerning fitting an universal cooler so you are not totally on your own.

I have the Courtenay cooler and would not consider a universal one, but the final choice has to be yours as opinions are divided.

I can assure you the products are not the same and it's not a case of you paying less by cutting out the "middle man" as some people may try to make you beleive.

It'd be good to see you new car some time.....
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    imho, courtenays IC placement is not optimal, part of IC is closed with bumper.also imho universal one look much better...not like couretenays one, hangin out of one side... build quality varies for universals...of course, but i think there is good alternatives for much lower price.
    Astra Coupe Turbo / LPG conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    courtneys all the way m8 much better quality plus you get the pipes the brackets and the propper bracket for turning the fan round,i run the courtnays 1 and also got a boost air temp gauge and it runs 1 to 2 deg c under outside temp most of the time but goes 3 or 4 over outside temp when booting it which is very effeciant
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I would stick with the SMIC you have at the mo they are very good
    I find the CS FMIC ok but could be better look at the end caps
    the full front one from the VXR is very nice an fits on the mk4

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used the courtenay fmic on my first ACT, on the new ACT ive used a custom setup which worked out £300 less and i didnt have to cut the front cross member and the intercooler is bigger.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the EDS SMIC and that is good for me

I guess you would get what you pay for.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems pretty even so far. Sounds like the courtenay ones are better quality so im swaying that way at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    In terms of quality of the intercooler then yes there's a huge difference, hence the price!

The core of the Courtenay cooler is much more efficient than that of most universal coolers, the design is optimised for the car your are fitting it to and the build standard is first class (not all universal ones are so good).

However if price is your main issue then you'll find any upgrade to the standard cooler is worth your time and effort.

Of course you get a fitting kit with the Courtenay cooler and you have to working it out yourself when fitting a universal one. There's lots of info here concerning fitting an universal cooler so you are not totally on your own.

I have the Courtenay cooler and would not consider a universal one, but the final choice has to be yours as opinions are divided.

I can assure you the products are not the same and it's not a case of you paying less by cutting out the "middle man" as some people may try to make you beleive.

It'd be good to see you new car some time.....
    Thanks for all the info mate. Im definitely thinking the CS one now. Having never seen either in the flesh i wasn't aware of the quality differences. Although i has suspected as much with the price difference.

Ive currently got the CS SMIC as i see you used to have (from your diary). Do you feel the upgrade to the FMIC was worth it?

Yea it'd be good to meet up sometime. TBH Im surprised i haven't seen you in North Walsham yet as im often up that way as the girlfriend lives there.

Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    I would stick with the SMIC you have at the mo they are very good
    I find the CS FMIC ok but could be better look at the end caps
    the full front one from the VXR is very nice an fits on the mk4
    I guess i could stick with the CS side mount ive got but i just wanted to get the most out of CS4 as ill be leaving the car (power wise) after that i think. Do you think the side mount would be up to the job for CS4?

Also, any more info on the VXR one? Size etc?

Cheers everyone! Good reading different opinions on them
    SRI TURBO + COURTENAY CS3 =

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have the courtenay one and paid them to fit it! if i had known how easy to fit it is then id go for the universal one plus the pipes and clips needed and fit it yourself as its that easy! everyone who rates the courtenay one are all courtenay customers as am i but everyone knows the universal ones are on cars running close to 300bhp so they are upto the job!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast