Thread: tick tick tick ??????????

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tick tick tick ??????????

hi all i own a 2005 astra 17cdti van and i noticed a very annoying ticking sound a few weeks back and it has started to annoy me a lot..... so i took it to my mates garage and he only looked at 5 mins and said " water pump needs replacing the bearings in the pulley have gone" so ok i bought a water pump and now thats fitted still the ticking occurs . and ideas on wot this could be before i start buying loads more parts for this van as he has now told me it could be the alternator????? im having no problems with performance at all just a really loud ticking/clicking sound when the van is idling wen warm and when the window is down wen im driving it through an enclosed space the sound just does my blooody head in !!! any ideas and any common faults known would be much appreciated thanks........ the van has covered 86000 miles and has just been serviced

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just sounds like you were unlucky, its normally one or the other. Get yourself a long wrench handle and touch it against the alternator body away from moving parts put your ear at the other end to try and see if you can amplify the sound, try moving the bar around to try and isolate the noise. Also put a couple of drops of redex on the inside run of the drive belt to eliminate friction noise.