Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant spraying from the bottle anything to majorly worry about?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coolant spraying from the bottle anything to majorly worry about?

Just bought steves car Linea rossa 2 litre turbo conv,

Had the coolant level warning come up, So checked it and the copper Pin that is connected to the coolant bottle has come away from the plastic bottle and there is no way to connect it back,pipes are ok its just the pin that connects the bottle to the plastic pipe. so coolant is going everywhere, does this sound like i just need a new bottle or could it be something more?

Sorry if this dosent make sense but not very good with cars.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Common problem, fit a new bottle and all will be well, but don't use the car as running it dry would be a very bad thing to do!
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, Just phoned Vauxhall cant see it until next Wednesday... Gutted.

Any Idea how much Main dealer will charge for the bottle?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep had the same problem when i bought my car, just have to buy another one mate,easy to do to. About £16 i think.

Adam
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this mate they have changed the design of the header tank now (proper name for the bottle )

The metal insert breaks off the plastic part.

You don't need to book it into Vauxhall mate just buy the bottle think mine was £14 or £17, I can run you through how to fit it yourself if you want??

For now if you need to drive it then fill the header tank up to to level it should be and only do short journeys or ones where the engine won't get hot i.e don't cain it and keep the heater on hot and number 4, also if you turn the engine off if you stop...
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok mate I will trust u to help, Will try and buy one tommrow or the next day.

Trust me when i say iam a noob to cars, Whats a spanner? LOL, Iam a commercial photographer dont know anything about cars...

If this is common perhaps there should be a How to do....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically unclip the header tank (bottle) off the mount, there's a small silver clip on the back of it that holds it in place, unclip all the water hoses using pipe grips CLICKY or pliers, there's 2 small pipes on the top and a larger one underneath, also unplug the level sensor that tells you when it empty but you van do that last..

Then you need to re-fit the new one in the same way as you took the old one off, when that's done you will need to fill the system back up... Basically slowly fill the system with tap water via the "bottle" and then add your coolant mixture (someone else will tell you how much as I just guess lol) fill the system up to the line on the header tank and then put the yellow cap on it loosely don't tighten it up!!

Then start the car and put the heater on full blast and full heat and leave the car to warm up, the water temperature needle should rise on the dash and that's when you need to look at the "bottle" as the water will start to rise and will want to squirt out of the top, once it starts to rise up the "bottle" you need to quickly tighten the yellow cap up on the header tank (that's why it needs to be on there ready) and then you need to check for leaks anywhere as the system is now under pressure - if you're happy there's nothing then you're done...

Once the car is cold you can undo the cap and let the pressure out just to make sure you're all okay in there..
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not sure but it really is a simple job! once you get the pipes off it is all common sence! you will need to swap over the level sensor from old header to the new one as well!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks I will read this step by step tommrow, Quick question what does "that's why it needs to be on there ready" mean sorry for being thick.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "that's why it needs to be on there ready"

The yellow cap needs to be screwed on slightly so you can tighten it up quickly when the water starts to fill the "bottle" up

If the cap wasn't on and the water pi$$ed out the top then you'd have a game trying to get it on and tigthen it up and you'll burn yourself - at least if it's screwed on loosely then you just have to turn it quickly - it makes it safer for you to do..
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast