Thread: aerial woes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aerial woes

Well since the little scrotes ruined my orginal aerial I have had to fit a different type that has no removable parts.

Problems with my shark fin started when the connectors fitted by Vauxhall turned out to be anything but the standard type you'd expect.

I wish at this point I had of rewired the whole thing, but in stead I cut the standard plug off and wired up the non standard vauxhall plug.

The reception is rubbish to say the least, I have re wired the plug to the point where I took out all the orginal wires and put the shark fin wires in to it.

I can only assume the amplifier is either knackered or not getting enough power, the power wire was running at 10.75 V not 12 (but earthing the volt meter was not easy or ideal).

All becuase Vauxhall did not use a standard plug fitting

Does any one else have any experiance?
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I found exactly the same problem when I trialled a shark fin, it was a cheap ebay jobbie, I soon ripped it out and when back to the standard but shortened version aerial, I think for shark fins to be any good it would have to be from a nother manufacture like BMW or volvo (c30?) and a decent job done one wiring it up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the plug must be standard as its used on millions of vauxhalls.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Up on further investigation I think mine has the phone wiring in the car (even though it's not fitted) as the aerial plug is different and much smaller than the normal type you see on the rear of the stereo.

Still a trip to maplin and a new plug in my posession should see some alternate wiring being fitted.

John: if the shark fin is rubbish you'll hear me screaming and if you look up you're likely to see if fly over head!

All this because some little ar$3 holes are out beyond thier bed time!
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'll keep my eyes peeled lol, im looking into a c30 one atm, its on the 'to do' list.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone got any news on this as am gunna b fitting my shark fin soon. wat connectors are needed etc to complete it b4 i go changing it n cant go bk

cheers
    SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im surprised i havent seen any other posts with this idea but this picture might just help alot of people.......

This is a photo of the new Arials that come on the new vauxhall insignia's.

Dunno how well it will fit but im sure theres someone on here who will know or willing to try it. im going to be doing this mod anyway but just waiting till ive got time.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if id known i woulda snapped one up jus had my sharkfin sprayed to match my car too
    SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I'd be interested on details about fitment, price and reception if this has already been done......I'm an Astra Mk4.

Thanks guys (and gals).

PS. receptions my main concern at the moment.
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    aslong as the ariel is amplified the reception should be fine.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast