Thread: Site Design, Hosting & Domains...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Site Design, Hosting & Domains...

I've touched upon this before when I was expanding my PT business earlier in the year, but never really got anywhere so having now got to the point where I need to get cracking and advertising my new gym, I'm asking slightly different questions and hopefully I'll be able to sort something out.

The gist of it is I need to set up a website showing who we are, what we do etc etc. Nothing overly elaborate really, I was thinking just a few pics and text, and maybe a contact form and scrolling banner I can post news on etc. Basically something that is going to make people want to look and see what we're all about. Also something I can get onto and update regularly, without faffing about with HTML or anyhing along those lines because time will be tight and my HTML skills are rustier than a rear arch on a mk3

Once the site is designed, obviously I'd need to host it somewhere, with a half-decent domain name so people can find and remember it. I have checked domain availability using some of the sites like free-parking.co.uk, and the couple that I've considered are still available.

so can anyone steer me in the right direction?

oh, and whilst I think about it, I'd need at least 5 email addresses fas well eg enquiries@x.com etc
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are plenty of 'solutions' out there it all depends on what you feel you requirements are.

Some people will tell you to go for a CMS type system, which is fair enough, but it's far too bloated for what you need. Wordpress, PHP CMs, Joomla/Mambo etc are all fine if you're building a big site, but far too bloated for what you need. Don 't let anyone tell you otherwise - you need the site to be fast considering what it's advertising. 80% of your visitors will be people who check during their lunch hour etc for information. If you have a slow website, people will give up and look elsewhere.

I would suggest you get a very simple PHP website written that has some form of admin backend so you can add content, remove content and 'sort' content. It wouldn't take much to do (if you get the right person to do it) and will leave you with a very slick and most importantly FAST website.

As for hosting, you wont need anything fancy, nothing expensive. I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but I've heard a71.net are good

You'll need to consider your email facility - do you just want 5 aliases or do you want 5 seperate POP3/IMAP accounts?

Good luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tbh a nice php website template should be all you need, have a look on templatemonster.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    There are plenty of 'solutions' out there it all depends on what you feel you requirements are.

Some people will tell you to go for a CMS type system, which is fair enough, but it's far too bloated for what you need. Wordpress, PHP CMs, Joomla/Mambo etc are all fine if you're building a big site, but far too bloated for what you need. Don 't let anyone tell you otherwise - you need the site to be fast considering what it's advertising. 80% of your visitors will be people who check during their lunch hour etc for information. If you have a slow website, people will give up and look elsewhere.
    Good luck

I'd have to disagree with that.

I wouldn't label wordpress with th elikes of Joomla. Considering wordpress is actually blogging software by default.
    Which in return would do exactly what pete needs, plus allow him to expand. It is also quick. But then again that's just me. I have wide knowledge of wordpress.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wordpress with a nice template is nice. However, the big CMS systems like Joomla, although have billions of features are good for minisites aswell, takes some getting used to and modding, but really easy and effective.

Domains, Moniker.com is good.

If you want simple standard hosting. I can shoot you some for free if you want cPanel, all the normal mod cons.

If you are after websites built or more advice etc etc, I would head over to Name Pros.com

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    ideally I'd want 5 POP3 accounts I think. That way I can have a general enquiries account, a seperate account for myself, one for my partner, an account for corporate business eg sales@... and then one other account which could be added when required. would also want a forwarding account so that any mistyped ...@mydomain emails get sent to the enquiries email by default.

as for the site structure - php sounds a decent bet - I have a little experience of it through running forums so I reckon I'd pick it up fairly quickly. Don't really know much else about the other options, so anyone else got any opinions on them?

If anyone wants to throw some prices at me for domains/hosting, then fell free to - looking at one or two of the domain name sites I can pick up my ideal domain for what works out about £35 for 5 years, so if I bought that where would I go from there?

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey pete I PM'd you yesterday.
    No reply . . . . .
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    ideally I'd want 5 POP3 accounts I think. That way I can have a general enquiries account, a seperate account for myself, one for my partner, an account for corporate business eg sales@... and then one other account which could be added when required. would also want a forwarding account so that any mistyped ...@mydomain emails get sent to the enquiries email by default.

as for the site structure - php sounds a decent bet - I have a little experience of it through running forums so I reckon I'd pick it up fairly quickly. Don't really know much else about the other options, so anyone else got any opinions on them?

If anyone wants to throw some prices at me for domains/hosting, then fell free to - looking at one or two of the domain name sites I can pick up my ideal domain for what works out about £35 for 5 years, so if I bought that where would I go from there?
    I'd be look at around... £20 for that. You don't need any fancy hosting packages to provide what you're after. PHP is definately your best bet. Also means that whoever you get to code it (including yourself) can tailor it to your own specific needs instead of trying to work with a generic package.

Best of luck and feel free to shout if you need help

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by joemailey View Post
    Hey pete I PM'd you yesterday.
    No reply . . . . .
    I'm still looking round Joe, thats why I hadn't replied. Looking at it, I think it'll just be a bit of overkill for what I need, so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. may come back to you when I've looked into things a bit more though, so don't think that I don't appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    I'd be look at around... £20 for that. You don't need any fancy hosting packages to provide what you're after. PHP is definately your best bet. Also means that whoever you get to code it (including yourself) can tailor it to your own specific needs instead of trying to work with a generic package.

Best of luck and feel free to shout if you need help
    again, something to look into. Am going to look into it all a lot further this week as I haven't really had the time to get into the ins and outs

rest assured I'll certainly be back asking questions on this topic soon, and if anyone else has anything further to add then please feel free

cheers for the help guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well when you get your domain, I'd recommend hooking it up to google apps. That way you will use google mail for your domains email.

You can create up to 100 accounts, each account gets 7GB of space(not that you will need it).
    It will beat any Webhost on terms of E-mail. As I myself have recently changed to google to host my E-Mail(its free).

I use to have issue's with my e-mails not being delivered or being trapped by spam filters etc.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

Of course you can use them as Pop3 accounts to hook up via outlook and any other mail client you might use on your pc.

As for your catch all account that gets all e-mail that might get mistyped. You really don't want that setup.That will just fill with spam and will be waste of your time trying to control