Thread: Any weak spots on a convertable hood?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any weak spots on a convertable hood?

any weak sports on a convertable hood?

Looks like I have sold my S2000 this weekend. With the money looking at buying an Astra convertable, anyone know of any weak sports i should be looking at.

2002-2005 car.

Any help on what to look for greatfully recived or what i should be looking in the car.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not that i know of as long as it goes up n down smoothly and the fluid is topped up, which can be found behind a cover in the boot which is positioned behind the driver side rear light.

other than that give it a good oil now and again.

hope this helps

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look for wear marks (usually 3 rough circles about 1-2 inches diameter) mainly on the rhs side top (sometimes on the lhs same positions). This is caused by the ribs inside the lining causing the fabric to rub (or chatter) against itself when the roof is folded down. Evidently there's not a lot you can do about it, but eventually it will wear quite badly and need to be replaced. Mine's 3 years old now and the roof is down whenever it's not raining, so the marks on mine are quite visible, but no where near needing a new roof.
    I've been told that "all" fabric roofs can suffer this problem and there's really nothing that can be done about it other than accept it. I have seen it on BMW and Audi roofs as well.

Simple solution: Leave the roof down!
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!