Thread: Shingles

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy Shingles

Mini Measures has shingles, just got back from the hospital and they confirmed the little lady is indeed infected!

As I have not had chicken pocks it means I am not allowed near her (every cloud and all that* ).

anyone had it or experianced someone that has had it?

*joking by the way if you are reading!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My grandad had them and was in severe pain and discomfort.

Hope Sarah gets well soon.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Friend at school had it years back, had it really bad and was in hospital for ages, think he nearly died! My old man had shingles on his spine or something, don't think it was that serious because he only had a few days off work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had them when I was 15. Didn't think it was a big deal and went to school, then promptly got sent home for 2-3 weeks.

I had them all down the side of my ribs and I just remember them being so damned itchy. For the duration I had them I had to sleep on the floor with my arm resting on the bed frame while I slept so it didn't touch the rash.

Odd though, how me and my best friend at the time, had them at EXACTLY the same time and apparently shingles aren't contageous?!

For young people it's not a big problem - it's the older generation that can really suffer from Shingles.

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my fiance had them a few months back, was off for 2 weeks or so and had to take tablets for it, she struggled to sleep and still suffers from back pain and slight irritation to this day!

its definately not a nice thing to have, hope the little lady gets better soon
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had em when I was 15, half shingles half chicken pox, awful combination. I remember my hands being covered, and I couldn't grip my Playstation controller as it was so painful.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
    Odd though, how me and my best friend at the time, had them at EXACTLY the same time and apparently shingles aren't contageous?!

Shingles are not contageous unless you have very close contact with them, IE touch the rash or share towels for drying etc. Where you and your friend close then

Cheers for the info folks, it seems she has had it since the weekend and its been caused by stress (she has had a lot going on at school at the minute). Its only a small rash about the size of a 50p at present so hopefully the drugs perscribed will kick in and help control it.

Just hope I dont get it! She is still off to school today so its not that bad
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope she has a speedy recovery mate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Shingles is only contageous in the early stages (until the rash scabs over) - its the dormant virus from chicken pox.

as you are aware if u have had chicken pox when you were a child then you can catch it. it generally is only a rash and will go away in a couple of weeks (as long as you dont scratch it). (can take up to 4weeks to come up tho) and it can be caused thru touching, sharing saliva, stress, poor diet and low immune system.

my gf has it at the mo and it came up just below her bra line. i still go to hug her and all that but shes not getting any from me till its gone, i dont wanna catch it (even if she leaves a top on) lol

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As above, shingles is a re-awakening of the dormant chicken pox virus. Generally both are worse to get the older you are. If you've had chicken pox then you're in no danger from someone with shingles as you already carry the virus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast