AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Super Fuels A 'Waste Of Money'

Quote Originally Posted by PistonHeads
    Which? claims super fuels don't save money or improve performance

Expensive ‘super fuels’ do not improve a car’s performance and are a ‘waste of money’, according to consumer magazine Which? Car. The publication tested three so-called super fuels (Shell V-Power, Tesco Super Unleaded and BP Ultimate Diesel) against standard fuels and found that there is little benefit for motorists.
    The fuels cost more at the pumps and it is claimed they optimise fuel economy and boost a car’s power. Which? Found that Shell V-Power, one of the unleaded super fuels tested, gave a 1.6-litre Ford Focus a marginal power increase. But filling the car on this petrol for 12,000 miles would cost £115 more than using Shell’s standard petrol.
    Tesco’s Super Unleaded – another of the super fuels on test – actually decreased the Focus’s power. Which? Car also looked at the impact of super fuels on turbo- and supercharged engines. It found that the VW Golf’s hi-tech 1.4TSI engine responded well to Shell V-Power, but there was little to choose between super fuels and ordinary petrol when it came to economy and emissions. BP Ultimate diesel – the only diesel super fuel on test – actually made the fuel economy and performance of a Renault Mégane 1.5 slightly worse.
    Which? Car editor Richard Headland said: 'For many cars it’s a waste of money paying over the odds for so-called "super fuels". The standard fuels we tested were all up to the job, whether from a major fuel brand or a supermarket. There’s no conclusive evidence to show that super fuels are better for your car in the long run - so in a time of high oil prices, why would you choose to pay more?'
    Which? Car recommended that motorists would do better to drive less frequently and more economically if they want to protect the environment, as the super fuels tested only had a marginal effect on emissions and pollutants.
    Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=18722
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    interesting,

doesn't mention if you would get more miles from a super fuel though? (although they could have covered that with power)
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    perhaps TV or someone should run 1x car with 95, 97 and 99 ron to see the results.

1.6-litre Ford Focus
    VW Golf’s hi-tech 1.4TSI

only one of which i would call (marginaly) a performance car. high end fuels have seen gains on subaru's and other force inducted cars (hence the ford sucked)

i'd be happy to be the test mule (so to speak) and i'm even running LPG so add a 4th fuel to the list.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    When I went to 'the ring' back in April, once I was across the border into Germany you can buy 100 ron petrol. Ran my Vectra on this for a journey to Stuttgart and then back again a trip of around 600miles.

My Vectra was flying on the 100 ron, and it was pulling up to around 145/150mph no trouble at all. The engine sounded better and more happier. Other people on the same trip using the 100 ron had the same sort of responses to the fuel.

Once back in the UK, and I had filled up again with V power the car was starting to feel sluggish. Whether the car was doing any more MPG I cannot tell.

So I would think they do make a difference to the performance.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I once seen a program on this and they used 3 cars, to compair standrad supermarket fuel and V-power. They used a ford fiesta, a general family soloon (cant remember what it was) and a subaru 22b and there was only a gain in proformance with the subaru which was 1bhp.

Make what you want of it but the 1 bhp could of been found from else where is you ask me!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes on a 1.6 foruc FFS

the maps that the tuning places do are set up for super fuel so run better on them

a 1.6 focus aint
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    a subaru 22b and there was only a gain in proformance with the subaru which was 1bhp.

Make what you want of it but the 1 bhp could of been found from else where is you ask me!
    BHP is for willy waving, Torque does the talking on the road. (not meaning to be disrespectful) i have found my bus smoother and having more pull when running 99ron. its less ron than the lpg (which seems to pull harder on the motorways) but hardly feel any difference in power. admitedly it still needs setting up properly but i'm sure it will be very satisfactory (especially after this weekend)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystery machine View Post
    BHP is for willy waving, Torque does the talking on the road. (not meaning to be disrespectful)
    MW E46 M3 - 269lb/ft
    Vectra VXR - 262lb/ft

Pretty even, but I know what is the faster car. BHP is about more than just willy waving IMO.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My Aygo gets V-Power from the first day

I don't think it makes any power difference. But I believe it keeps the engine clean. And that makes me feel better
    FAMILY SHED: VAUXHALL ASTRA 2.2 SRI
    ROAD MISSLE: HONDA CBR1000RR FIREBLADE
    TRACK MISSLE: none

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The point of the which exercise is completely pointless, on a std car set up to run on std petrol, what else did they expect, why did they not then put std unleaded in a F1 to see if it made any difference as by thier testing method this would have been ok.
    I am on a rolling road all the time, using different maps for different fuels, including bio(E85) etc.
    If mapped accordingly the results can be HUGE, on a 200bhp turbo engine it can be 10-15bhp, but it has a bigger effect on torque usually, some are mapped to have one map for std and one for V power for example, so you can see the difference at the flick of a switch, cosistently time and time again, even though both fuels have been mapped in for optimal performance.
    Fact you can run more advance on super fuels, so it brings the torque lower down, and also slightly more.
    A 1bhp difference is not as much as a std discrepancy seen between each run, usually due to heat matters, no run will ever be exactly the same as others on any engine/fuel.
    tabetha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast