Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fault Code B3040

Hi,
    I'm a new member and I have a problem with my 2001 Astra G 1.8 16v SXi engine code Z18XE. Basically the car will not start, getting flashing yellow triangle with the spanner through it when I turn the ignition on. I have read the code using an OBDII reader and it comes out with B3040 'communication malfunction on w-line'. Do you guy's have any ideas on what may be causing this ? The car has been stood for a good few weeks and the battery went totally dead. Charged it up 'after disconnecting leads' and then this error started coming out. It was fine before.

Cheers

WhiteGsd

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like you've lost the earth for the ecu. I've had this problem before on a corsa 1.8 sri. It had a broken wire between the fuel pump relay and the ecu i think? I'll see if i can dig out the checks for you.
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers that would be great. Any ideas on where the fuel pump relay is located ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not off the top of my head. Check the wiring from the engine ecu. Trace it along and see if you can find a break somewhere. I'll look up the checks for the code tomorrow

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry mate i did look this up but left the bit of paper at work. Basically the fuel pump relay and another relay i think is earthed by the ecu but i think this wire might be broken, causing you this code. In the relay box above the gearbox is the fuel pump relay i think?. Follow the wiring from this to your ecu and see if you come across a break. I think the terminal no.s are 29 and 35 on the ecu for the earths from these relays.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many Thanks for that. I had the car running for a while but it has stopped again with the same code. I have traced the problem to the main relay earth wire. Do you know which ECU plug & pin this wire connects to ? A diagram would be nice if you have one. I have temporarily earthed the main relay to the body work via a fused switch to get me up and running but a permanent fix is what I am after.

Cheers

WhiteGsd