Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter

Talking Wooohooo new job for me

Right, long story, short version...

For the last 2 and a bit years, Ive been working as a 'casual' woeker for a local family run printers. I got called in as and when they had work, which was fine for the first 18 months, when I was in pretty much every day, but these last few months have been pap, and the work has been going to the 'in house' workers (read as family members of the owners.) So basically, Ive not been able to earn over £450ish a month, which trust me, with three kids and the amount of animals I have, really doesn' t go far

Anyway, Ive been hanging on and hanging on, in the hope that they get work in for me (I like the job, and have known the family for years), its got to the stage where I only earnt £143 last month, so it was decision time.

While I was pregnant, I did some dog walking for a kennels about 5 miles away from where I live, again, Ive known the owners of the place for years, and get on with them well. I decided maybe they would like a visit from me today, as I haven't seen them for a few months, and I walked out with a new 30 hr a week job lol

Its going to be basically kennel work (walking, grooming, cleaning out the runs etc) but when the kennels quieten down as the holiday season drops, then I will be looking after their horses as well, which is brilliant, as hopefully I might actually lose my baby belly after having Hope . Ive worked outdoors for most of my working life, so yes, I know we are coming into the shitty weather, but its where Im happiest. I couldn't be stuck in an office all day, it would drive me nuts.

So things really are looking up for me at last, and in theory my life should't be such a struggle financially from now on

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good on ya Mel, well done! And congratumalations!

Now....no taking your work home with you!
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice1

vitual pat on the back for you
    Astra Se2 coupe

"Love it and shove it and dance around the bucket"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well done, happy for you

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well done you. As long as you have a good pair of boots, "muck boots" are fab and a good jacket "mountian horse or musto" you will be fine. Jx

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    congratulations! I shall be thinking of you this winter, out in all weathers, in the wind, sleet, freezing rain, hail and snow, trudging through mud when you discover a hole in your welly, getting bashed about by horses, getting all itchy when you clip them, cold raw chapped hands, red nose and frozen ears, tack cleaning, poo shovelling and slippery icy stable yards that make you and your wheelbarrow fall over. And I shall feel sorry for you, honest! Hope you have a good boss and sane horses to work with, and a nice cosy covered yard with a kettle and lots of hot tea on tap. I'm hoping for a mild and dry winter for you, and don't forget, neutrogena hand cream is the best there is, make sure you put it on every morning and evening without fail so your hands don't crack.

All the best hun, have fun. I don't envy you though, this is going to be my first horse free winter, so it's going to be an experience

Kirsty

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh and don't buy cheap wellies

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a great sum up Kirsty, couldnt put it any better myself. Winter makes me wonder why i have a horse!! PLus the poor buggers rugs just all been stolen.

Got to agree with the wellies too, had hunters and they have lasted me about 9 years now haha

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats awful Lynds - have a look in the Robinson's catalogue, those Saxon rugs are fantastic, economical and very tough, the hoodie ones are great, but be aware if your horse has a thick neck like a cob the neck fastening isn't very expandable. Other than that google "Rhinegold" and find a local reatailer, their factory makes rugs for Weatherbeeta and they also make their own unbranded versions of the Weatherbeeta rugs at a fraction of the price but exactly the same features and build quality, mine was fantastic.

Hunter wellies are usually great (although I did get two bad pairs which didn't last, one pair only lasted 2 weeks so I took them back and got a replacement) but cheap wellies just never last. Also mountain horse footwear is terrible, the soles split away from the uppers really quickly and the zips fail, although the jackets etc are great (I'm actually sat here wearing a mountain horse jumper atm and it's lovely ) I've also got a Jack Murphy puffa with real duck down filling and I call it my personal duvet, in fact it's so warm I can't work in it as I overheat but it's great in the depths of winter.

Kirsty

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    It will be Muckers for me, but because I drive in them as well, a pair only usually lasts me 6 months, and I normally go for the lots of thin layers to wear. I think when I was younger, I managed to fit 6 thin jumpers under my jacket in the winter, I really did look like a Michelin man lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast