Thread: trolley jack

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

trolley jack

wheres the best place to place the trolley jack point on the coupe? just my luck to go right through the floor!!

also ive got axel stands to go underneath and i can see a sturdy point on the rear to place them but where about on the fronts?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    either put the trolley jack under the axel (rear) or on the arm on the front then put axel stands ont the jacking points under the car, or place the trolley jack under the jacking point

(the jacking point is the little lip of metal the hangs vertially under the car, the actual point usually has a little undent taken out of it, if that makes sence lol)
    Smooth, Low Riding Van, Decked On its Ring Piece
    Cos' Low, Is Cool

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks. in the past ive always used a piece of wood when using the jack on the vertical lip point.

i might have to use the original scissors jack to get it up a little as i think the last time i struggled to get the jack underneath. but im going to take off the wheels to paint the calipers so ideally need to put the stands on. so it'l be ok to rest the car on the stands which would be on the actual jacking points yeah?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celticrsmith View Post
    thanks. in the past ive always used a piece of wood when using the jack on the vertical lip point.

i might have to use the original scissors jack to get it up a little as i think the last time i struggled to get the jack underneath. but im going to take off the wheels to paint the calipers so ideally need to put the stands on. so it'l be ok to rest the car on the stands which would be on the actual jacking points yeah?

thats perfectly fine, i have to drive my van up onto 2 bricks first to egt the jack underneath (but then bought a sports jack which goes low enough)
    but yeah, jack it up, then put the axel stands on the jacking points, ttoally fine, they're strong enough
    Cos' Low, Is Cool

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ye there will be no probs with that iv done it many a time...just make sure floor is level car is in gear and chokked so it wont role and make sure if doing both sides at same time that when jacking 2nd side up that the other stand isnt moving anywhere
    - Black 2.0 SRi DTi Mk4 Astra -

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was going to do rears 1st, the fronts after. thats ok yeah? better than doing ns then os?

also, ill have to do this on my drive which has about 1-3" chuckies/gravel so i was planning on putting the stands on pieces of wood 1st.

ill maybe go down the before, during and after route with pics ofcourse

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.mitchell1984 View Post
    ye there will be no probs with that iv done it many a time...just make sure floor is level car is in gear and chokked so it wont role and make sure if doing both sides at same time that when jacking 2nd side up that the other stand isnt moving anywhere
    ahh thats a good point, put a brick under the rear wheels (if doing the front) just when jacking up the second side, keep an eye on the first axel stand make sure it isnt tipping , also make sure u untighten the wheel bolts before fully jacking up lol, ive jacked up the whole van in the past, to realise i gotta drop it back down to undtighten the bolts lmao
    Cos' Low, Is Cool

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah put a board of wood down, and make sure its all secure and should be fine, whether u do front first, then rear, or os and then ns, its the same principle, i usually do the rear first and put the trolley jack in the centre of the axel at the back... only need to lift it once then and it will lift the whole back end
    Cos' Low, Is Cool

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilfy View Post
    i usually do the rear first and put the trolley jack in the centre of the axel at the back... only need to lift it once then and it will lift the whole back end
    great idea, thanks!!

ill try it but itl prob tip on me lol

thanks for all the pointers guys. yeah, ill most likely forget to untighten the bolts 1st so thanks for the reminder

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol, done it more than once lol
    lol, the car wont tip, dnt worry
    Cos' Low, Is Cool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast