Thread: If you had the chance how many would fit VXR rear discs?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you had the chance how many would fit VXR rear discs?

Just curious on this as I looking very hard at fitting a set of VXR rear discs to my Mk4. I have the calipers, in fact the calipers are the same as the Mk4 EXCEPT that the carrier is thinner on the mounting bracket. Anyone who's bought a set of Mk5 Lucas calipers will know what I mean.
    The VXR has 278mm rear discs as opposed to the Mk4 standard 5 stud 264mm, so a 14mm difference, not earth shattering but worth having if you've already uprated the fronts.

I'm looking at getting a local engineering firm to make me a pair of the beam brackets so I can fit the larger discs, if the cost is not too expensive I may have a few pairs made up. The VXR rear discs are approx £58 a pair with my Vauxhall Trade club discount so those are cheap enough. The beam brackets BTW are £80 EACH from Vx.

So anyone think the expense is worth the effort?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No not really mate, I think you ought to save the cash and sell your Brembos and buy yourself some 343mm Alcons

Back only does about 15-20% of braking on a standard car anyway, surely making the fronts even better is the best bet??
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd agree with some of the comments there. Well not the Alcons one as I can't see them being any better than the Brembos TBH, in fact they may be worse. The Brembos are coming off anyway as I can't get them under the 17s I want next.

The rears don't do a great deal of the braking, this is true. However any increase in the effectiveness of any brakes must be a good thing. If the expense isn't too much then it must be worth looking at. The only thing stopping me from doing this right now is the bracket problem, as soon as I know a rough price on those I will decide on whether to go ahead with it.

The other plus side is the wheels look so much better with bigger discs behind them, that's worth a little extra expense I reckon
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not worth the effort Ken as there's no real gain in upiing the rears, here's why...http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    if it could be done on a 4 stud i would do it, as the 308s look great and then the 4 stud rear disks look like small ashtrays
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Custom Stage 3.5 330bhp 340ft lb VXR Pop Bang Map with Ignition Cut Limiter

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Not worth the effort Ken as there's no real gain in upiing the rears, here's why...http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
    Was thinking the same, the only thing you'll gain is a bigger disc behind the rim.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post
    Was thinking the same, the only thing you'll gain is a bigger disc behind the rim.
    You know I do agree here. The point is though that according to the report by Stoptech there's little point in upgrading the fronts never mind the rears, they say it's just about shedding heat and unless your on a track then it's unlikely your going to need that benefit. Now that to me doesn't make sense, there are quite a few times I can personally remember getting brake fade (not with the Brembos I may add) now the whole point of upgrading the fronts is for greater leverage and shedding heat more efficiently and yet they don't seem to think that's needed for a road car.
    From what I can gather you'd be better fitting stickier tyres as they gain more than bigger brakes.
    However I'll probably still do it, if for nothing else than cosmetic looks.