Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gearbox problems

Hi

I have an Astra SXi 1.6 2001 & have just started to get gearbox problems.

Whilst at a junction today I tried to put the car in to 1st gear and could not get it in, I then tried all the gears, pressing the clutch etc but could not get a gear. Then once I pushed the car to the side of the road I tried again and no problems.

About 5 miles later, I got the same problem. I left it in neutral for a few minutes tried again & I was away.

I can put the car in to any gear now but worried this might happen again.

Any ideas what the problem is? I'm thinking it might be either be the linkage or maybe the gear selectors?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Possibly just low brake fluid

Not sure tho matee, hopefulyl someoens abotu to answer soon for youu

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like you got a clutch problem. Either the clutch plate is worn and slipping when hot or your master cylinder or slave cylinder are on there way out.
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam75 View Post
    Hi

I have an Astra SXi 1.6 2001 & have just started to get gearbox problems.

Whilst at a junction today I tried to put the car in to 1st gear and could not get it in, I then tried all the gears, pressing the clutch etc but could not get a gear. Then once I pushed the car to the side of the road I tried again and no problems.

About 5 miles later, I got the same problem. I left it in neutral for a few minutes tried again & I was away.

I can put the car in to any gear now but worried this might happen again.

Any ideas what the problem is? I'm thinking it might be either be the linkage or maybe the gear selectors?

Thanks
    I am having a similar problem with an F18 g/box on a 200is EURO series with 160000km(100000m) on the clock. Sometimes sticks in 5th gear. It is very difficult to get to neutral. After a few tries all is normal somtimes up to 50 -100 miles then re occurs. I have dismantled the gearbox and all seems in order. When it jams it feels as if no oil is in the g/box. Is this the same symptoms you have? Still have not found the root cause.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow Entropy On Twitter
    I had a similar problem when I owned a Pug 306 (hangs head in shame)

What had happened was the spring on the pressure plate on the clutch had snapped causing it to be slightly off centre.

BTW, this happened on the way to Cumbria on the M6......no gear selection in 1,2,3, or 4th!

The only way I managed the rest of the journey and the 200 mile drive back was to slightly rev the engine while the clutch pedel was pressed and try and sync the clutch to the flywheel. It went with an almightly clunk everytime, but I managed to engage gear and make it home.

In essence....could be a FUBAR'd clutch? or possibly the gear selector in the gear box?
    What the Frell is Frak?