Thread: MOT woes - nearly torched my car as a result... good old ebay though!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

MOT woes - nearly torched my car as a result... good old ebay though!!

Well the mk3 went in for its MOT yesterday, and what a balls-up that was

firstly, silly me made a schoolboy error and forgot about the decat pipe - not just forgot about it and forgotten to refit the cat, but forgot it had been done altogether and thus had binned the cat and not bothered sourcing a loan of one for the MOT

anyway, so that moment of amnesia is going to cost me a new front pipe (as the joint was buggered so the decat welded straight to it) and cat... £35 + £60 + VAT = ouch

then there's a rear brake pipe corroded, the bunged up washer jet which I again forgot to take the pipe off an clean out, the spare tyre on the back meaning mismatched tyres (although I did tell them it was due to a puncture and that the original wheel was being done that day which wasn't a lie and so they let it go) and a couple of other niggles... meaning £200-£300 bill by this point I was ready to just give him the keys, the log book, rip out the headunit, and disappear into the sunset... until my OH pointedout I needed the car for work

anyway, £200-£300 was not good, as I was only expecting £100 tops having just gone through as much as I could within the last couple of weeks checking things so anyway, got those sorted and it went for a retest this morning...

failed the emissions again despite the new cat etc.

as it was the idle speed test, it's looking like the Lambda, meaning another £60 even through TC at Vauxhall... by now I was filliung the can with petrol and looking for the matches... until I rang the guy I know in Vauxhall's parts dept, who suggested ebay as a short term fix

result! £12.45 + £3 postage, and will be with me Monday at the latest

so from looking at £300-350+ I'm now back down to £200-£300 which I can just about cope with (just)..

all this for a car worth £500 or so... the things we do eh?
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh pete, glad you're not torching it mate,

my mate took his car for an mot, and its pretty mint it came back with 15 advisories and a fail
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its heartbreaking when the bill comes back almost as much as the cars worth!!

been there too many times in the past

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    its the first time my "budgeting" has ever been much out come MOT time.

stupid me for the cat error

plus side - it shoudl be good for a while longer now, and I think I've sourced a couple of other parts I had planned to buy at some point, but at half the price I was expecting to pay... just a shame they turned up for sale now
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol mine got MOT soon...im dreading it LOL! may have to let my friend perform mini MOT on it first, then let him take it to his mate lol
    Sapphire Black VxR Black Theme with a Touch of White, 3" Scorpion System, DapR springs, Rarb, JBI Tophat, FMIC & CDTI Conversion, Iridium Plugs, Full SMD in White...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol, unlucky mate, still remeber my mate taking his car in for a MOT and failing to realise he needed loads of things and a service, came out with a £880 bill, he wasnt happy

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not a nice bill, but if the car lasts you another year or longer £300 is nothing.

Better than buying a £300 car that could be a total shed lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get some one you know to do your MOT, I get a few advisories on a post it, and they get done that month but i still get the slip at the end of it, and the car is road worthy ...............but then again A mate just has his hill climbing xr2i MOT'ed, it's running a 2.4 and the exhaust hangs out the side under the door, with nice flames as an added touch......... MOT?!?!?! just put that emissions rod in a nice new fiesta...
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series