Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck at home with a sick child...

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+

Stuck at home with a sick child...

This feels odd. I'm NEVER off work! But at the same time I feel a bit guilty... this is the first time in 4 and a half years I've stayed off with a sick child, Sam's done it every time to date. I feel I should have pulled my finger out and contributed a bit more. But there seems to be this "thing" in my office where you only take time off if you've lost a limb or something...

Oh well, gets me an impromptu day off I suppose. Even though I've offered my services if they want to send work home!

Is there anyone else who finds it... difficult? Getting their head around "downtime" I mean? I seem to have very mixed feelings about it, even though I know I shouldn't... I know precisely where my priorities should and do lie.

It's Cam with a cough/cold, for those wondering
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where i used to work it wasn't worth the time off, if you had one day off, upon your return you'd be treat like you had 5 eyes. It'd take a week for anyone to speak to you, and you had to 'earn' your place back in the fold.

God that job was crap!

Hope Cam feels better soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I know what you mean, I haven't had a day off sick since I broke my leg 8 years ago, and I was back in as soon as I had a solid cast.
    However due to working in retail, There are people off sick every week and it really winds me up. Especially those who think they can tag on sick pay to their holidays etc.

However,
    You should be allowed to take a small amount of domestic leave per year as a primary carer...

As you say, you know where your priorities are, and fair play for offering to take work home, but remember:

Work to live, don't live to work.

Status
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewwhelan View Post
    As you say, you know where your priorities are, and fair play for offering to take work home, but remember:

Work to live, don't live to work.

Wise words... I did the "work from home" thing many moons ago. To many, it sounds like a good idea at first. But if your home is your workplace, where do you go to escape work??

Might go and get changed actually, still sitting here in my work clothes! Perhaps I'll feel a bit less "on duty" if I go and change into civvies

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    My boss is actually pretty cool with it all so I cannot complain in the slightest about it. However my last boss was a nightmare. 1/2 way to work I made an emergency stop in a layby opened my door and my breakfast made its exit. After 10 minutes of putting everybody off their bacon sarnies freshly made from a mobile van also in the layby I phoned my boss to inform him I'm going home as I'd felt rough all night long, felt worse in the morning and was now throwing up uncontrollably. His response "Well your half way to work aren't you, you may as well come in!" I was really offended by this so took a stance over the health and wellfare not only over myself but also those I work with. I'm sure they wouldn't want to catch whatever it is I had. So I went home.

But Tangy you can't offer to do any more mate and family comes first IMO.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make the most of having the day off, curl up with cam and watch some day time tv and eat junk! You are an honest decent hard working human being, something that is rare these days, so dont feel guilty about one day off to look after your baby, just think about how it will make Cam feel being looked after by his lovely daddy for a change, he will think its really cool and that in my opinion makes it worth. Jx

Get well soon little man, Jxxxxxxx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I know what you mean, i hadnt had anytime of till i had an absis. Any work kept calling and wanting me to go back in when i wasnt well enought to.

I hate the people who take time off sick for no reason.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Some companies allow a small number of paid days for this type of 'leave', I get 5 but it isn't common knowledge.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    look at it this way Andy - you have some extra AOC time

I'm sure Cam appreciates the time together as well, can't beleive you haven't got him signed up with his own account yet seeing as he's a regular show/meet attendee

hope you're better soon Cam.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    look at it this way Andy - you have some extra AOC time

I'm sure Cam appreciates the time together as well, can't beleive you haven't got him signed up with his own account yet seeing as he's a regular show/meet attendee

hope you're better soon Cam.
    Oh believe me he's tried Pete! I'm putting my foot down until he's old enough to learn to drive tho

As an aside, he seems a bit better after a dose of Calpol... complaining he's bored now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast