Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two paths to choose need some advice...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

two paths to choose need some advice...

I'm on a gap year atm doing selfstudy on mechanics, next year i'll be moving down to plymouth, as i've been accepted to uni in my media course. only problem is i'm enjoying mechanics alot more, and seem to be more knowledgeable about it then i do about the media which i've been studying for the past 3 years
    also found out theres a very low chance of getting a job in the media anyway as its so competative.

so i could either go to uni next year and be in dept and with a high percentage of wasting 3 years to get a job thats not in the media or just carry on studying mechanics. also got a friend up in plymouth who says he might be able to get me a job in mechanics (possibly part-time though).

which should i choose uni or mechanic?

so far its leaning more towards the mechanic side, as there's alot more benefit for me and the missus. firstly it'll be cheaper to run cars, get settled into a job earlier which connects to moving out properly alot earlier too. but pay will be considerably lower

but the uni it willsee me off with a massive dept (loan), staying with missus parents longer as i'll be jobless or part time job won't pay enough, 3 years wasted.
    a very big salary if i get a job in the media though so the 3 years won't be wasted, but seeing as its slim i'm sorta reconsidering

and when i say slim i mean that within 17people only 2 out of that lot will get a job in the media

Help!! (i'm all over the place)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How old are you, assuming young?

Uni definatly mate, give it a try you will regret it if you don't.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What area of media are you looking to go into exactly? It's a very broad field.

I'd say your long-term prospects are better sticking it out at uni, and you've already done 3 years??? One left to go? It's a no brainer really imo. The only waste would be if you quit now.

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Im going to go with the mechanics option.

Its experience you need to get along in life IMO. Plus do you really want to get into more debt, or start actually earning money?

Easy choice from where Im sitting

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET View Post
    Im going to go with the mechanics option.

Its experience you need to get along in life IMO. Plus do you really want to get into more debt, or start actually earning money?

Easy choice from where Im sitting
    This is what i think.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do which ever one our going to be most happy doing for a hell of a long time, else your only going to wish you did the other a few years down the line.

Good luck!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go to Uni and study something to do with mechanics...?

I was 'umming' and 'ahhing' about uni throughout my gap year as I had a good job offer after working for a big company throughout the year. The temptation of going straight into full time work, monthly income and no debt (as such) was very tempting. But, after being advised by the company to go to uni, I'm now in my second year and don't have any regrets, because:

1) I'm working so that reduces debt
    2) I'm working in the field that I'm looking to advance to after uni - so getting a degree, getting money, and getting experience too!
    3) Playing lots of sport which I love
    4) Meeting so many new people and having some fun!
    5) Obtaining a degree qualification which will broaden my opportunities after uni big time

The holidays are so long too - you're actually at uni for only 6-7 months of the year, leaving more time to work, earn money, and gain experience, e.g. at a garage as a part time mechanic.

Experience and the person you are is the most important thing that's for sure, but don't see a degree as something that will throw you into debt and be a drag for 3 years. Most people don't want to leave uni at the end!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looks like you have it sorted then bud, loads of my mates were in uni and loved it. the atmosphere is the dogs.
    can you rely have to much bass? thinkin i need more treble now

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd personnally start working, with anything you start at the bottom and work your way up. As long as there's cars you've got a job. If you think you can get by everyday day life on your wage then go for it. Some years down the line you might be the owner/manager of the place. Also if it's going to better for your relationship then I think you've answered your own question.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would forget the uni option for now and go with being a mechanic( i think you call them "Technicians" now! ) you can always go back to study later on in life when you are more finacially secure. It is very acceptable to be a mature student and much better to go when you can concentrate fully on your studies rather than where your next meal is coming from or if you can buy all the equipment you need!! Good luck in what ever you choose. Jx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast