Thread: Cash cow, otherwise known as the car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cash cow, otherwise known as the car

Slight problem, iv got the SRI, however its 9 years old, already spent 1200 on it, new alloys, new spoiler, service, repairs. clutch is on its way out it seems. Insurance due in january. How do you lot afford your cars? Every month i try and promise myself, wont spend more then 100 on the car, and every time...i end up spending a crap load. How do you guys limit how much you spend on the car? How much do you spend a month etc
    Had a Astra SRI 2.0i 1999, now have a 1994 VW Golf GL 1.8, £460 bargin!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My old man does all the repairs

I havn't spent anything on mine exepct some alloys, wish I could afford to spend much more on it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    save so much a week for what you want/need for your car, i always put the needs before the wants lol, as i wanted to get my dvd head unit and gauges this week but i gotta buy front brake pads, sort the central locking and change the oil and air filter! so i will get the stuff i want whenever i can afford it lol just gotta save up!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont spend that much a week on my car, but i do try though
    every month my insurance goes out, so can't really spend a whole lot. 2 weeks ago i calculated my money wrong and i've not been able to spend anything on the car since!! really itching to finish off buying my suspension though!....... if i didn't calculated it wrong i would of have:
    Springs (allready got them) and front shocks (supposed to have got them this week).

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Our costs a month for the 2.0DTi -

Insurance £25
    Tax £12.50 (£145 a year)
    Diesel £50

And then obviously replacing any consumables, servicing once a year and nothing has gone wrong on it yet, had it 6 months

You might try selling up and buying a newer car / less powerful car if its costing you too much a month?

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I just see my car as a yearly cost, and any spare dosh iv got at the end of the month ill spend/save for something i want (car related or not)

Put i put money away to pay my insurance etc off in one, so dont loads of money going out every month on direct debits, costing me more money.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    first thing I would suggest is making a list of what you'd like to do with your car i.e. mods, and then budget a set amount for each thing on the list. once you've done that, prioritise them and decide what order you are going to save up and get them in.

then make a list of the regular monthly outgoings i.e. insurance, tax (divide up the 6 monthly/yearly figure depending on how long you usually tax it for), and of course fuel. This is the "essentials" list which of course you HAVE to be able to afford each month I would then add at least £25 a month on top of the essentials list, for things that crop up eg bulbs/wiper blades/tyres etc, plus of course a little of that can go towards the bigger bills you get from time to time. I would put aside a further £10 a month to go towards your MOT, meaning once a year you have £120 for it. remember anything you don't spend can stay in the pot for further expenditure.

once you've got the list of essentials, and the list of things you'd like to do, work out how much you can afford to put towards the things you'd like, and then stick to that. any overtime you may work, or bonuses, could be put towards the mods, but otherwise stick to your budget, and don't be in such a rush to buy everything at once!

the thing with a site this size is that there are so many members that it must seem as if people are spending money on their car week in week out, when in reality most people have an outlay for something then don't spend anything on mods for a few weeks whilst they save up. either that or they don't spend much for 6 months, and then spend the rest over the other 6 months. again, it's just a case of not getting caught up in a wave of enthusiasm after seeing what others do!

sorry for the essay
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your words make sence pete, im also in competetion with a mrk 3 down the road and a mk 5 up the road, my mk 4 is stuck in the middle.Its kinda egging me on a bit, Idealy id like to change my front lights to the smoke couped ones, then that will be me done for a while. But i need a new clutch, my one is really slipping now. Next post..how much does a new clutch cost
    Had a Astra SRI 2.0i 1999, now have a 1994 VW Golf GL 1.8, £460 bargin!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    drug dealing!!!

lol only jokin!
    ummm gallie

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    90 insurance
    210 tax (year)
    200 petrol.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast