Thread: Starting problems when warm

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Starting problems when warm

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find a thread with a similar question. Anyhoo the problem is that sometimes when the engine is warm and I come to start it it will fire but doesn't have enough revs to keep the engine going so it just splutters to death. I've been able to get it started everytime but sometimes it can take ages for it to catch, usually have to turn the key and then slam on the throttle to grab it and for some odd reason and which probably isn't even related if I open the bonnet then it will usually start but I've only done this twice so prob just a red herring.

Once it starts it's fine although sometimes a warning light comes on, think its a spanner with an electric symbol on it? I just turn it off and restart it if that happens tho and it goes out. Clean the idle control valve and throttle body which cured another problem (the erratic idle) and was hoping it would have cured this problem aswell but obvisiously not. Should also say that this usually happens after a spirited bit of driving well revving it a bit, I usually change gear before 3k but it happens alot more often it I get it upto 5 or 6k before changing.

Did find a thread where someone was having hot starting problems and the crankshaft position sensor was point out of maybe being the problem, is it likely this is whats wrong on my car?

Also this is for the X20Xev engine.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly same problem a couple of weeks ago, mine was down to cam sensor needing replacment, will gradually get worse... or at least mine did!

What years your car, you can diagnose the fault yourself!

Either search paperclip test, or the brake and accelorater test or buy a cheap scanner of ebay!

Btw, if you need, ive got a branch new cam sensor sitting at home, i brought the wrong one for my car

Although, when searchign what was wrong with mine, it was also possibly, the crankshaft sesnor, lose cambelt, or needed a new revised loom as cable was weak.

Joe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a 1999 so will try the paperclip test, cheers. Yeah mine was getting worse, happening everytime I tried starting the car (even when cold) till I cleaned the idle control valve and throttle body and it worked fine for a bit.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Horray, looks like it is the camshaft sensor as my fault codes reads 0340. Well done good sir, I was going to purchase a crankshaft sensor today which would have been a waste of money.

How much do you want for the camshaft sensor and is it the right one for my car?

Cheers
    John

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to make you aware, camshaft sensor can sometimes actually indicate a problem with the crankshaft however, id say its definatly the cam...

It really depends, its listed as the correct one for the engine, and can have for 20 plus whatever postage is, its about 65 new on trade i believe...

However it wasnt the correct one for mine, if your happy to do the work yourself, takes 5 minutes, you could pop the sensor out and see if its magnetic, if so, you need the one from an omega like mine, rather then then one listed for an astra....

Tho easier still, pop it out and get the part number of of it

Vauxhall man thought i was bonkers when i said i wanted the omega one for my astra

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A slack cambelt can bring on the engine management light, as it will give the sensor an incorrect reading.
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Belt should be alright, just checked and seems to be good. Never took the the bottom cover off only the top but was on nice and tight, how loose would it have to be to cause an error?

Heres the offending item, can you tell me which one it is? Looked at a pic of one at a parts website and seems to be an astra one not an omega one but hopefully you can confirm?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats same as mine, which apparently is only on the omega.the one i have will fit, but wont work, as that one is magnetic however the one listed for the astra isnt

Just try tying the part number in ebay or somethingg or go vauxhall ot have your pants down, patented parts are going to be chucking the same error code up more then likely.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bugger thats a shame, will see if I can find something tomorrow. Cheers for the help.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is the correct one, but the multiplug will be different. You can by a kit from your vaux dealer which comes with the new plug and you have to cut off the old plug and solder on the new one.
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs