Thread: New job, more money, new car?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New job, more money, new car?

Well i have been thinking!!!! As i have my new job, i will be bringing in more money than usual! and seen as all my money goes on my car, a new car would be lovely!

Im thinking bout waiting till my insurance is due in february and getting one of the following:

Astra Coupe 1.8
    Astra Cab 1.6
    Astra SXI 1.6

or
    A new shape astra poss on finance!!

I would be looking at having around £5k to spend as i wud be borrowing the money off my minted grandad (always comes in useful) so it will be interest free!!!

Just wondered what sort of prices i would be looking at? I will be 19 wiv years no claims,2 years driving, live in a lil bit of a rough area!!! but if im honest i wud love the 1.6 cab, but you dont see many around especially in that engine size!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIWY, I'd put the money into a cash ISA and let it build for a couple of years. Then when you hit 21, you'll have a decent amount to spend on a good 2nd hand CDTi mk5, and your insurance will be cheaper too.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that sounds like a plan! i do have a cash ISA already! but i cant see myself keeping the current astra for another 3 years!

either that or i buy the parents 08 reg corsa design off em in a few years time!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    stick with the car mate. I thought the same but I held on until I was 21 and my insurance dropped. I wa lloking at 2.2 cabs, then realsied I could insure cab turbo's, then looked into corsa VXR's (same ins group as the cab turbo) and I ended up with the astra VXR for th same insurance!
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Me personally i think you should do what you want to do.

I wanted a nice car for my first but got misguided and bought a 1.4 saxo (BIGGG mistake ) , next wanted a 306 TD but stumbled across my astra and on the way to a viewing and bought that instead.

If you want something at the time and can afford it then get it, save for it w/e theres no point in going ill get it next year(s) when things can crop up and ultimately you may regret all the experiences you may have had if you had bought a few more cars between the big expensive one.

My next purchase will be a astra coupe when my insurance is up, if i can afford it at the time if not ill continue to save using my sport and then just upgrade the policy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Keep your car for a bit mate, you've only just started driving, you havn't got much experience yet, so the best thing is to keep the car for a bit of time maybe 1-2 years, because you are bound to hit your car, i did and i expect everyone else has, and you don't want to hit your new car.
    Number 365 VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id keep it for a bit save a lil n nope sorry i wouldnt id probably dive in feet first and buy the first one that made me grin

sayin that i bought a derv?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Convertible!!!!!!!!!!!!

But go for the 1.8!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [sensible head] save and hang on until your at least 21, then look at what you want then [/sensible head]

get what you can afford/want
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Personally i would put the money into an isa as mentioned then when you reach 21 and the no claims has built up the insurance comes down.

MArk

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive