Thread: Computer help

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Computer help

I hope some one can help over the last few weeks my PC has been getting slower and slower

To the point of now if I have 3 or 4 IE windows open it just goes slow or I start to lose some functionality like losing right click on the mouse functions, or will not open any other programs.

Its not just IE that it happens with either I could have word open, outlook and it wont open say photoshop.

I have run:

spybot
    Ad-Adware
    AVG

all are up to date and all found no issues.

What else could it be? Help please
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What are the specs of your machine, Mat?

You know me, not one to preach *cough* but it could well be that IE is just getting bogged down in its own mess. Have you done the usual with clearing the cache and temp. internet files?

Will also be worth _actually_ clearing the temp internet files, too:

c:\documents and settings\<your user name>\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\

Also check what programs are being launched on your machine at boot up. These can hog resources and 50% of the crap you load (unknowingly) wont actually be needed! For the lest technically savvy (i.e. don't wanna mess with the registry) try this:

Click Start > Run > 'msconfig' > hit [Enter] or [OK]
    The resulting box, click on the 'Startup' tab and unclick anything you don't use. If you're not sure, might be best to leave it.

Last of all, try Firefox. It has it's own fair share of bugs, but it's generally more friendly than IE (though it's memory footprint is getting bigger )

Good luck

Edit: Forgot to mention, depending on the OS (2000 and above) next time it happens, go into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer. Use the System and/or App tabs to check if there are any error messages - they can help diagnose the problem.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    no idea on how to tell you the specs of the machine - idiot guide would be great for that if you can

I will do all the above and see how that goes (although I will do it tomorrow as I am off to a wedding today). Thanks very much

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To get the specs (or what i'm after anyway):

If you have the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop, right click it and select 'properties'. The page that comes up will have a 'General' tab. At the bottom, a section titled 'Computer' - that's the info we need.

If you don't have the 'My Computer' icon, try Start > Settings > Control Panel. Then open the 'System' icon. Same window will appear as above.

Or, if you want to feel really smart....

Hold down the Windows Key (one with the flag) and press the 'Pause/Break' key. Same window comes up as above again

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I love little short cuts like that - nice

System

Microsoft windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

MESH
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor
    3200+
    2.2. GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately it's probably a mixture of things. Other than cleaning up all your temp files, removing all but the most commonly used icons on your desktop and taskbar, then defragging the hard disk, there is not a lot else you can do other than formatting your drive and putting a fresh install of the OS on. Part of the problem is that the system registry gets larger and larger over time. I routinely back everything up and format / reinstall every 18 months or so.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Unfortunately it's probably a mixture of things. Other than cleaning up all your temp files, removing all but the most commonly used icons on your desktop and taskbar, then defragging the hard disk, there is not a lot else you can do other than formatting your drive and putting a fresh install of the OS on. Part of the problem is that the system registry gets larger and larger over time. I routinely back everything up and format / reinstall every 18 months or so.
    Defragging the hard drive on an XP machine will make very little difference. It is most likely running with NTFS which doesn't really require defragging - the file system takes care of itself. Granted a defrag might help, but the performance gains will be so slight that you wouldn't even notice it.

Key to it is removing the processer and memory footprint of other applications that are not being used. The amount of crap that runs at startup is amazing and the vast majority of it quite simply isn't needed.

I could always be really annoying and say..... 'have you tried Ubuntu, yet?'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try this Mat found things that the others never on mine

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    I came across this the other day

SDFIX

Run it and it will extract to the root of C:\

Reboot into Safe Mode and run C:\SDFix\RunThis.cmd

Awesome little program. When it prompts you to reboot, do so normally...no need to go back into Safe Mode. It will then carry on and give you a log file stating what it found and what it did with it. I used this the other day where ewido and all others couldnt remove a nasty exe file in the TEMP directory. This program owned it and another 5 viruses previous undetected.

Well worth a try.
    Try this fella.

I've been using it at work on VERY badly infected PC's (and i'm talking to the point the next step would have been a fresh rebuild)

Remember to start it off in Safe Mode. It was successfully where McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc etc weren't...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would agree with domino on this but if all else fails try getting more ram. XP takes a great deal of ram to start with.
    Former Astra: Mk3 1.4 K reg
    Current Astra: Mk4 1.4 V reg LS (The Half-Arsed Astra )

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    You could try running Crap Cleaner on it too (ccleaner.com)

It can delete all of the extraneous schtuff that Windows pooters seem to collect over time (temp files, old install files, etc) and it'll do a spring clean of you registry if you ask it nicely
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast