Drives
    Astra H Design 2.0T
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Question Light weight Sub

Hey guys,

I've been dragging my small second person in my boot for some time, and since I had it out for a week - I've noticed fuel savings and general performance.

So my dual 10" bandpass sub is gonna have to go (currently ~50Kg with Amp) - IF I can find a light weight replacement .... as I miss the bass

Any recomendations?

Thanks,

J
    Astra MK4 SXI 1.6 Twinport [Z16XEP] (2004) & Astra MK5 Design 2.0T [Z20LEL] (2006) & Zafira MK1 [Z18XE] (2003)|| Astra MK4 1.6 SXI [Z16XE] (2002) || Astra MK5 VXR [Z20LEH] (2007) || Astra MK4 1.6 SXI [Z16XE] (2001) || Vectra MK2 1.6 LS (1999) || Astra MK2 1.4 Merit (1990)

Click here for the How To's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    keep the sub and run on chip oil, best of both worlds then
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Pioneer do a flat sub that would save alot of weight, if you want something more "high end" then JL Audio are releasing there new flat 12w5 subs at the end of september which is also a flat sub (thin line) however would also save weight.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesAstra View Post
    Pioneer do a flat sub that would save alot of weight, if you want something more "high end" then JL Audio are releasing there new flat 12w5 subs at the end of september which is also a flat sub (thin line) however would also save weight.
    Just one problem the Pioneer sub is not far behind the standard subs in terms of weight and the new JL audio sub is heavy as well. If memory serves both are about 100 to 200 grams lighter than the standard equivalent size subs. BTW the new JL audio sub is in 13" only at the mo with the 12" on scjeduled for later this year. It sounds awesome to be quite frank and not far off the 12W6 in terms of quality. Cost will be an issue with that sub circa 349 to 399 pounds

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your never gunna get a light weight sub as its just a big magnet which is heavy the only thing i would surgest is put a single ten inch sub that will take twich the power and get a bigger amp
    should in theory be the same volume as 2 tens with half the power

then build that into a well designed ported box to get the most volume per watt you can

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilD View Post
    Just one problem the Pioneer sub is not far behind the standard subs in terms of weight and the new JL audio sub is heavy as well. If memory serves both are about 100 to 200 grams lighter than the standard equivalent size subs. BTW the new JL audio sub is in 13" only at the mo with the 12" on scjeduled for later this year. It sounds awesome to be quite frank and not far off the 12W6 in terms of quality. Cost will be an issue with that sub circa 349 to 399 pounds
    12's will be in the country by mid october

ATM cost is undecided as after october JL will be going on a mad advertising spree and there will be some awesome deals available.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a 12" West Coast customs sub, box, amp and wiring for sale if you want. It's only weighs about 10kg I reckon.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra H Design 2.0T
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Thanks guys!

Any links to these "thin line" subs? Also I think I'm missleading when I say sub. By 'Sub' I mean driver and box ....

Stevie - how much are you looking for your kit? Do you have any pics and specs?

Cheerz,

J
    Astra MK4 SXI 1.6 Twinport [Z16XEP] (2004) & Astra MK5 Design 2.0T [Z20LEL] (2006) & Zafira MK1 [Z18XE] (2003)|| Astra MK4 1.6 SXI [Z16XE] (2002) || Astra MK5 VXR [Z20LEH] (2007) || Astra MK4 1.6 SXI [Z16XE] (2001) || Vectra MK2 1.6 LS (1999) || Astra MK2 1.4 Merit (1990)

Click here for the How To's

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    subwoofers weigh a lot mate (N)

basically im just repeating what everyone has said

try removing your spare tire, head rests, etc... weight reduction to make up for the sub weight